How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask martyburbanklaw Your Own Question
martyburbanklaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 163
Experience:  Attorney with a post doctorate law degree (LLM) in tax
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
martyburbanklaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Currently, I have a federal tax lien on file. I want to ...

Resolved Question:

Currently, I have a federal tax lien on file. I want to invest in real estate in order to pay off the outstanding tax balance. If I incorporate, will my company be able to buy and sell real estate without risking interference from the IRS because of my personal tax liability? If so, is there a way for me to still buy and sell homes? I have no other means to pay of this debt.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  martyburbanklaw replied 9 years ago.

Don't incorporate. A corporation is almost always the worst way to hold title to property unless you like to pay taxes.

Setting up a business entity will not protect you from IRS putting liens on property. Your best bet is to work with a tax attorney to negotiate with the IRS for you. You may be able to have the lein lifted if we can show the IRS that it effects your ability to earn money so that you can pay them back.

If you do set up an entity to hold title to your property you will want to use an LLC not a corporation.

Very respectfully,

Marty Burbank, JD, LLM

martyburbanklaw and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions