How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a small business, a hair salon. I have a staff of 13 ...

This answer was rated:

I own a small business, a hair salon. I have a staff of 13 independent contractors, each on a year lease. One staff member fell very far behind on her rent payments. I agreed to let her sign a 6 month lease instead of a year.....she still fell behind on her payments. As stated in her lease, I gave her 10 days notice and terminated her lease. Also, as stated in the lease, she is responsible for all monies owed, and legal action would take place if not paid, at her cost. My question is, what legal route do I need to take to recoup this money? She owes $717.00. I don't want to run up a big legal bill if she can't even pay her rent.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Your best course of action, as you may suspect, is Small Claims Court. If you need information on how to get started, please let me know what state you're in.

I'll be looking forward to your reply.

Jane Doe, Deer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I live in Idaho....Ada County.

You can sue up to $4000.00 in Small Claims Court in Idaho, so the amount won't be a problem.

You need to attach every piece of paper you have as exhibits when you file and serve your complaint.

Before you do this, offer her a payment plan - even a small amount per month is better than nothing. Don't forget interest!

Anyway, to file in Small Claims Court: The information is on this website, but you have to scroll down:

You can also read additional helpful information from this website:

Do you need further assistance? If not, please click "accept" so I can be paid.



Jane Doe Deer and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you