How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Judge Your Own Question
The Judge
The Judge, Business Law Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 703
Experience:  Active business lawyer, business owner, & former judge. Over 30 years experience in business law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
The Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client that used his personal funds to pay for ...

This answer was rated:

I have a client that used his personal funds to pay for business start up costs to the extent of $130,000.00 he then incorporated a few weeks later. So the business bank account never had the $130,000.00 flow through it. How do I treat these start up costs ( officer loans)? Kindly respond>
The business bank account doesn't have anything to do with it. There are a lot of ways to contribute assets to a business in exchange for stock other than depositing cash into the business bank account. In this case, the key is how the transaction is documented.

Second, whether you treat the transaction as a shareholder loan, (not an officer loan) is very important to the strategy of how you want to take money out of the corporation in a tax advantaged method. But it doesn't have anything to do with the legality of the $130,000 problem you described.

And remember that corporate start up costs are amortized over a number of years, they are not expensed in the year of formation. So be very careful what you are calling start up costs. It has serious tax ramifications.


The Judge and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you