Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I will be breaking the lease agreement by moving out 1 year ...

Customer Question
I will be breaking the...
I will be breaking the lease agreement by moving out 1 year ahead of time because I am bankrupt. How many days does my landlord have to give me to vacate the unit of a commercial property I am renting. He verbally asked me on May 15th, when I would vacate and I in my ignorance told him on May 31st. Is he obligated by law to let me have more time?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/17/2008
Business Lawyer: Jane Doe Deer, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney

Hello and thanks so much for writing to me. It's possible that you really need to run this by a real estate attorney, but I may be able to help you. I will need just a little bit more information before I can respond:

1. What state are you in?

2. What does your lease agreement say about early termination? Generally speaking, requests to move from either party should be in writing.

I'll look forward to your response!

BTW, sometimes there can be a delay of many hours before I can get back to you. Be patient; I won't forget you, and I can usually respond within no more than 8 hours.

Merry

Infolawyer, Attorney