Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Dear Sirs, Where does one go to apply for a small ...

Customer Question
Dear Sirs, Where does one...
Dear Sirs, Where does one go to apply for a small business grant. My husband wants to work out of our home. He was in the radio business for 25 years and wants to make commercials out his home office full-time now. He has the contacts, but we need start-up capital, probably aound $5,000 for the equipment. Whom do we talk to?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/15/2008
Business Lawyer: Jane Doe Deer, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

What state are you in?

Thank you Ms Kogut. We are in the state of Michigan. We have lived here for 14 years now. As for additional information. My husband has been a practicing radio personality for 20 uears and has been a "production director" for the last 5. A production director combines voice and soumd effects to write and produce radio and television commercials. This is generally done in an office environment on specialized audio equipment. Everything is digital now. He has the talent and the experience to do this on an independent consulting basis, plus the contacts to make it a real money-making business. But we need the capital to create this set-up in our home. We are looking for a small business grant of approx $5000. After my husband being unemployed last year for nearly 8 months, our immediate credit is shot. He is employed now by a small audio production company in town, but at nominal pay. My husband is 55 now and too old for an on-air radio job. But his commercials get great reviews! It's time to go independent. I am 47 and have a good and stable job making $52K a year. We have a condo but with little equity in it. How do we apply for a small business grant or low-cost loan? Where do we start??? Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

I'd love to see you save up the $5000.00 to invest, rather than taking a risk on a loan. But if it's a grant you want, here are some ideas:

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-11407_15317_15346---,00.html

At this government agency, you can find out about grants and you can also obtain information about starting a small business in Michigan.

Next, I always recommend SCORE, which is a free service from which you can obtain business assistance from a retired volunteer businessperson: http://www.score.org/findscore/chapter_maps.html

I also recommend checking for grants through universities in your husband's field. There may be people with their fingers on this type of information.

Next, do a very simple google search. To do a google search, go to http://www.google.com/. Enter the word "grants" and you will find all kinds of information on grants. You'll need to stick to your husband's field. Prepare to do a lot of paperwork.

Another idea is to get a local government agency and/or business to give your husband a couple of contracts, and use the money to get the business going (be sure to ALWAYS use written contracts for all work, or you'll need to write Just Answer again!).

Meanwhile, why do you say your husband is too old for an on-air radio personality job? Poppycock! I bet he has a beautiful voice. And he's protected by age discrimination laws!

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Merry A. Kogut or Key Peninsula Law in Washington.

Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney