How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help filing a Mechanics Lien in the US Virgin ...

Customer Question

I need help filing a Mechanic''s Lien in the US Virgin Islands. The site is on a Refinery.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

§ 587 of the Virgin Island Code ("Filing of claim for lien") requires you to do the following to perfect a lien:

Within 30 days after the rendition of the services, or after performing the work or labor, mentioned in sections 581 (labor and materials) and 582 (storage) of this title, every person who claims the benefit of this chapter shall file for record in the recorder's office of the judicial division where the property is situated, a claim which shall be verified by the oath of himself or some other person for him to the effect that the affiant believes the same to be true. The claim shall contain--

(1) a statement of his demand, and the amount thereof, after deducting, as nearly as possible, all just credits and offsets;

(2) the name of the person by whom he was employed;

(3) a statement of the terms and conditions of the contract, if any, and if there is no express contract, a statement of what the service, work, or labor is reasonably worth; and

(4) a description of the property to be charged with the lien sufficient for identification with reasonable certainty.

You'll then have to file the claim with the clerk in charge of recording liens. You can find out which clerk by calling your local courthouse.