Business and Finance Homework

Need finance homework help? Ask an Expert

Comment on the following statement: The level and growth…

Customer Question
Comment on the following...

Comment on the following statement: The level and growth rate of real GDP per capita can be a misleading indicator of development. At the same time, countries that experience sustained increases in real GDP per capita over time will tend to be more developed.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business and Finance Homework
4/2/2018
Business Tutor: GLENN GILONGOS,
 replied 3 months ago
GLENN GILONGOS

Hi

Can you kindly post the complete set of questions?

he level and growth rate of real GDP per capita can be a misleading indicator of development. At the same time, countries that experience sustained increases in real GDP per capita over time will tend to be more developed. Explain the statement
Business Tutor: GLENN GILONGOS,
 replied 3 months ago

Please hold on, I will open this post to others.

Business Tutor: Sonevar, Graduate Student replied 3 months ago
Sonevar
Sonevar, Graduate Student

I'd like to help if I can

A few questions if I may?

1) What is the deadline and what time is it where you are?

2) What is the length of the paper?

3) What is the format of the paper? (MLA, APA)

4) How many sources do you need? (Use the textbook? Don't use the textbook? No source older than X years? peer reviewed? scholarly?)

It is due in next twelve hours.

Can you answer any of the other questions please? How long, what format? How many Sources?

2 pages single spaced, format does not matter, number of sources not specified

Single space is unusual, there was no word count given?

no word count, single space is alright

To clarify 2 pages single spaced (as would be 4 pages double spaced)?

Title page? (doesn't count in number of pages)

It does not count, only 4 pages double space text, 12 font size

Ok, just making sure I have it straight

how long would it take to answer the question?

I've gotten 2 sources and should have it to you in the next 4.5 hours or less on a shared google drive link. You'll need to put your name and school info on the title page and I strongly suggest that you copy and paste the whole thing on a new document on your computer so that it has your computer's metadata on the file instead of mine. This will unfortunately also have to separately include adding or copying the page headers that I include as well.

Will be glad if I get something sooner so that I can read it and arrange everything. Thank you.

I will try my best. Also do you need an "Abstract"page?

First page nearly complete Title page and references are done, dinner break and then I'll chain myself to the keyboard again

no abstract needed
Also, are these conversation thread public? How can one ensure that the thread does not remain public?

I can put in a close request after we are both satisfied, additionally by giving you a link to the paper, I can control who sees it if the request is not fast enough for you

Please do that for me, and let me know when you complete because I mostly wanted some ideas to explain the paradox part of the question

Here it is 4+ pages plus title and 6 cited references just finished proofreading and verifying my link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lBNzz96RxQ_uLrDEoOxI5VIknkA8YxJj

I hope its what you need

but why then do countries with sustained increase in gdp per capita tend to be more developed if gdp is a misleading indicator
i feel like that part of the statement is left undiscussed, you can simply suggest me what explains the paradox...

The paradox is in the details itself like the wealth distribution Arab states have Billionaires! High GDP and personal palaces.... much of the population lives in 3rd world slums. Tulsa Oklahoma mansion like houses with acres of land...but across the tracks are 1 room hovels (I've seen both and been in the mansionlike house of my college roomate's grandparents') New York Highrise penthouse apartments not far from overpacked housing projects. But none of that matters to GDP 1 million dollars is 1 million dolars weather it's high-rise/slum or averaged out suburbia. China is rich enough now that it's buying up the US's IOUs but there are large areas of china where the air is toxic to breathe and whole mountains are crumbling due to industrialization, but GDP doesn't account for anything but the money. If a person/company loses billions of dollars of proprietary data to a Cyber attack and pays millions for a recovery that fails to retrieve the data...the millions for the recovery that failed add to GDP but the billions in data lost means nothing

GDP says everything is great as long as the spending keeps going up because that usually means more advances/development... just ignore all the crime ecological devastation, the fact that more than 50% of US GDP is controlled by 1% of the population. Ignore fads like facebook and amazon because their unconventional and will fail...and facebook is free so it adds nothing to GDP (also thereby ignoring advertising business networking, instant worldwide communications etc)

but how do you explain the part of the question that implies that well gdp is misleading but countries with gdp rise have also seen rise in life expectatncy, increase in educational levels over time, this is the paradox i dont know how to address

Analogy, let's say we were talking about the value of distance Let's say moving 10 feet = $100 to the GDP

You can walk 20 feet to go to the bathroom, GDP says you added $200 to the GDP and therefore your house likely should be more advanced than a hole in the ground in Germany

BUT US and British troops lost hundreds of lives to move from their trench to that hole in the ground so they could bomb an enemy base in WWI to GDP that's only worth $100 and it is true that your bathroom is more advanced and more hygenic than that trench...but is the importance and loss from that trench worth less than you going to the bathroom?

To address the advancement question same principle, GDP ignores all the details but throw enough money at something and eventually you'll get it right. You've heard how "with Age comes Wisdom"? This is a lie with Age comes more OPPORTUNITY for wisdom but I can almost garuntee you a 10 year old street kid who's been dodging pervs and gangs all his lif is Wiser than a 20 year old trust fund kid who never did anything and made his parents throw money at every problem he had

With more GDP comes more OPPORTUNITY that somebody will make things better, even if it's only so they don't have slums ruining the morning view out their window, but is this nation-wide improvement...? No, but do it enough times and eventually... But again that GDP increase is often controlled by the rich elite, not the average citizen

but again, why is it that suppose in india poverty levels are decreasing, life expectancyis increasing, literacy rate is increasing when we are arguing gdp does not indicate anything
would it not follow that if gdp was misleading the aforementioned should not occur?

GDP ignores the details and says "See your score is better" it doesn't matter how they got there. In a word increased GDP can indicate overall quality of life increase... but it falls way short on individual quality of life increase because it's a number, not a fully factual report

Amateur sports team brings in a pro athelete (rich elite) to play on the team...their scores increase (new schools, plumbing), their moods increase(better health), they look foward to winning...does that mean any of the individual players got better (did any of the other people get richer?)?

Numerical money score shows more spending, which means the money went to businesses strengthening local economy, as a result more taxes, better schools, housing... does that mean that any of the individuals are richer? (especially when you ignore the home invasion/arson down the street)

If a company offers to pay a city 10 million dollars to let them bury bags of toxic wast right on top of the city's drinking water source GDP for that city increases....until everybody starts getting sick (see Erin Brockovich, true story)

GDP is a money score. Logically better score means you win more but in reqal life there's a lot more going on than what numbers tell you and GDP SKIPS everything that doesn't make it go higher

The reason GDP shows benefits is the same as shooting blindfolded, shoot more bullets and eventually you'll hit every target in the room... just ignore the fact that the walls are nearly collapsed from all the misses