Business and Finance Homework

Need Finance Homework Help? Ask an Expert

Business and Finance Homework

Julie, single with AGI of $78,000, sold 80 shares of stock

Customer Question
Julie, single with AGI of...

Julie, single with AGI of $78,000, sold 80 shares of stock for $22,000 on 4/1/13. Determine the amount & character of her gain/loss in the following situations. A. She inherited stock from her father on 9/30/12 when its FMV was $22,800. Her father had bought the stock in 1991 for $1,500. On the date of his death (5/30/12) the stock's FMV was $24,700. On 11/30/12, the stock's FMV was $18,500. The executrix uses the alternative date of death for valuation. B. Same as A except executrix uses date of death for valuation. C. Same as A except she received the stock on 12/15/12. D. She received it as a gift from her mother on 2/10/12 when the FMV was $24,000. Her mother bought the stock on 6/6/06 for $27,000 and paid $1,650 in gift tax upon the transfer. E. Same facts as D, except she repurchased the stock on 4/20/13 for $23,000 and later sold it for $24,400 on 11/20/13. F. Same facts as D, except FMV at 2/10/13 was $21,000 and gift tax was $1,475. G. She bought it for $74,000 on 7/8/08. The stock qualifies as § 1244 stock. H. Same as G, except the stock became worthless on 4/1/13. I. She received it as a gift from her aunt on 1/5/13 when the FMV was $18,000. Her aunt bought the stock on 2/3/04 for $19,500 and paid $1,000 in gift tax upon the transfer. J. Same as I, except her aunt had bought the stock for 16,000. K. If the assets sold were personally owned bottles of wine, instead of stock, how would this change your answer to J? L. Assume the asset sold was a patent obtained by Julie on her invention and the cost of development from June to December 2012 was $6,000. M. Same as L, except the asset is a copyright on a book.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Business and Finance Homework
10/9/2013
Business Tutor: DanielleCPA, CPA replied 4 years ago
DanielleCPA

Welcome and thanks for your question!

Did you still need assistance with this question? If so, please advise as to your deadline.

I need it by Thursday Evening

Ok, thank you. I am not the best expert to assist with all the points on this question, so I am going to opt out so someone else better suited may assist you. Have a wonderful evening!

Ok

Business Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

I would like to continue waiting

Business Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Business Tutor: Angela--Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Angela--Mod
We appreciate your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Best,

Angela

I would like an answer

Business Tutor: Angela--Mod,
 replied 4 years ago

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.

I have marked your question high priority and you’ll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.

Anyone out there able to help me with this?

Business Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Hello

I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer and Pearl.com have multiple categories, from Cars to Home Improvement, to assist you with any lingering question you may need answered.

At this time, we can offer you two options. You can choose to either have us return your good faith deposit back to it's original funding source OR you may keep your deposit in your JustAnswer account to use for a future question.

We hope you will consider us again in the future, even though we were not able to assist you with this question.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
linda_us
linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree