Business and Finance Homework

Need Finance Homework Help? Ask an Expert

Business and Finance Homework

Include supporting

Customer Question
Attachment: 2013-10-08_140758_jab.docx     Include supporting...

Attachment: 2013-10-08_140758_jab.docx

Include supporting calculations and screenshots.

Henry Clements is a friend of yours who has a car rental agency in a major metropolitan area. Although his is an independent company, Henry works closely with three other independent companies in the metro area. They share information and each week they forecast the number of cars each will need the following week. Then, if needed, they will transfer cars between location on Sunday when none of the agencies are open. If they have to go and get a car during the week, it will cost $75 per car, considering the lost time and good will of making the customer wait. Moving on Sunday gives the customer the option to return the car to any of the four locations and it has allowed Henry and the other agencies access to extra cars to meet their needs. Everyone is happy with this arrangement.

Henry reviewed his company’s performance and he believes there is room for improvement. He has obtained records for the last three months. The data he collected are shown below. It is Friday and he has to input his forecast for the number of cars needed tomorrow. He knows you have been taking a class in Quantitative Analysis and has asked you to review his data and help with his forecast to determine what else he might to do increase his performance. As you discuss the situation with him, you learn that he wants to be able to meet the customers’ requirement for a vehicle 95% of the time. He says he rarely ever gets complaints if the exact model is not available, as long as he has a vehicle available, so he does not try to anticipate particular size or model requests and lets randomness take care of that. Weekly demand is as follows:

Week

Demand

Week

Demand

1

126

7

243

2

200

8

167

3

243

9

131

4

167

10

208

5

132

11

251

6

211

12

171

In the past Henry has used the average number of cars as his basic number and adjusted to meet his goal of 95% service. He asks you about some other methods he has heard about.

1. What should his forecast be using this method?

2. What would the forecast be if he used regression analysis?

3. What about time-series forecasting?

4. What will you tell him about which is the best option?

Henry has two people who can check cars out for a rental. One works at the service counter and the other works in the office and can come out to help if needed. Henry has determined that people arrive following a Poisson distribution. Rentals average about 24 per day and the service person takes about 15 minutes to process a customer for a rental. Henry sees that the agent at the service counter in not busy all the time so he is contemplating not keeping the office person trained and leaving only the service counter person.

5. Is this a wise move?

6. What is the average time the customer takes from when he/she arrives until he/she has a car?

Currently, when the office person in serving customers, a second line forms in front of the counter.

7. Is that how Henry should set up the waiting area or is there a better way?

When a car is returned to his location, Henry has three employees who prepare the car for the next rental. As a car arrives, one of the employees takes the car and washes, cleans, vacuums, and inspects it, prepares the paperwork for the next rental, and returns the car to the lot. The employees each take a car in sequence. Henry has observed the process and has observed the time each takes to complete each step. The information about the times (in minutes) is as follow:

Employees

Wash

Vacuum

Inspect & Return

Beverly

22

13

11

Cameron

15

17

20

19

19

14

8. Is there is a better way to organize this part of the operations?

Each rental requires two agreement forms, one for when the car is checked out and one when it is checked in. Henry orders these forms from a local printer. The printer charges Henry $40 to set up the printer. The forms cost 50cents each. Because of the damage to the forms and the forms becoming obsolete, it cost Henry 25% to store the forms. The printer will only accept orders in multiples of 100.

9. If the three months of data collected and presented above is indicative of all demand, how many forms should Henry order?

The printer offers Henry a 10% discount if Henry orders 5000 or more form at a time.

10. Would this be advantageous to Henry? How much money would it save, if any?

Henry is now ready compute what do with the cars on Sunday. The other locations report the following on-hand and needed cars. Henry will have 150 cars on-hand Saturday night.

Location

Location North

Location East

Location South

On-hand

165

160

200

Needed

195

160

190

Based on past experience, the cost to move cars is:

Between

And

Cost

Henry

Location North

$12

Henry

Location East

$22

Henry

Location South

$17

Location North

Location East

$7

Location North

Location South

$28

Location East

Location South

$14

11. How many cars will need to be moved and what will the total cost of the move be?

12. Based on all the above computations, what would you recommend to Henry about his operation and what changes would you propose (if any)?

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Business and Finance Homework
10/9/2013
Business Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Josie-Mod

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Hi yes I still need assistance

Business Tutor: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator

Hi i need to know if someone will be able to help me or not today. I need the solution tomorrow Thanks for your time

Business Tutor: Angela--Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Angela--Mod

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.

I have marked your question high priority and you’ll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.

Thank you

??? Why is it taking so long is someone going to answer the solution??

Business Tutor: Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree replied 4 years ago
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree

Hello, my name isXXXXX for visiting Just Answer.

Sorry for the long delay. Many experts have reviewed your question so far, but no one at this time has felt comfortable trying to help. The question may be just to difficult or not informative enough or priced to low.

Has the deadline passed for this project or do you still have time left to complete - if so, what is the deadline?

If you would like one of the professionals to try and help, is there anything else you can add to your original post giving me more details. You can upload any files using the paper clip icon in the tool bar here at JustAnswer or by using a file sharing site like mediafire.com or box.com and sharing the link here. We may not be able to answer all of the components of your question but possibly some of them.

All the best in your studies and have a wonderful week.

:-)

How would I go about getting my money back?

linda_us
linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree