Business and Finance Homework

Need finance homework help? Ask an Expert

why should a company be concerned about the organizational…

why should a company be...
why should a company be concerned about the organizational socialization process?
7/3/2010
Steve
Steve, MBA
Hi, here is your answer. The organizational socialization is the process by which people "learn the ropes" of a particular organizational role. The process can range from brief trial and error to a long process of prescribed education and planned apprenticeship. This process is of key importance to the organization itself, as the process will shape the values and ethics a new hire will take on, and conform to - thus, the firm will want to influence the process to its benefit, if possible. It is also important that the organization understand the process and its length. This will dictate how soon a new employee will be able to become fully functioning within the organization. Please let me know if you have further questions, I am happy to answer follow ups. If satisfied with my assistance, please press accept so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept. Please feel free to request me directly in the future but putting "for stephen only" at the beginning of your question.

Cheers.

Steve

conceptscoach

Banish your Accounting and Finance Blues!

Hi there,

Thanks for requesting me. Here is your detailed answer:

Organizational socialization is the unique process by which individuals who join learn and adapt to the organizational culture and how they fit into the whole organizational set up. Newcomers also learn the appropriate roles and behaviors to become effective and participating members (Louis, 1990).

An organization's socialization programs and the newcomer's success within the program is considered as the main aim of the socialization process which will enhance individual and organizational outcomes. The organization teaches them the skills required for the new job, and the norms and values of the organizational that will work as a guide for their behavior. The information that is provided through the program are informal in nature with respect to the socialization content.How successful newcomers are in acquiring it determines socialization effectiveness.

Ostroff and Kozlowski, 1993; Schein, 1980), the content categories utilized to evaluate socialization effectiveness include: (1) task mastery, (2) functioning within the work group, (3) knowledge and acceptance of organization's culture, (4) personal learning, and (5) role clarity.

A company with the help of an effective socialization program will have the new comers to easily adapt themselves to the organizational culture and start producing positive results strictly following the values.

Thanks

References:

1. Louis, M.R.1990. "Acculturation in the Workplace: Newcomers as Lay Ethnographers." In Organizational Climate and Culture. Ed. B. Schneider. San
  2. Ostroff, C. and S.W.J. Kozlowski. 1993. "The Role of Mentoring in Information Gathering Processes of Newcomers during Early Organizational Socialization." Journal of Vocational Behavior 42: 170-183.
  3. Schein, E.H. 1980. Organizational Psychology, 3rd ed. New York, Prentice Hall.
  4. Journal of Managerial issue, Fall 1999 "Effective socialization of employees: socialization content perspective

Let me know if you need more help. Thanks for requesting me and keep forwarding your request by adding "for concepts coach" at the start.

conceptscoach