Business and Finance Homework

Need finance homework help? Ask an Expert

You are the Network Administrator for a company that is moving…

Customer Question
You are the Network Administrator...
You are the Network Administrator for a company that is moving to a new location and wishes to upgrade its computer systems and double the work force. Currently, the company has 35 employees running Windows 98 on a Windows NT 4.0 domain. 10 employees are in management, 5 are in programming, 5 are in sales, and 15 are in graphics and development. The company wishes to create a research team and provide you an IT staff, as well as increase the size of the other teams. At the new location, the office is already wired for Internet connection. The Internet Service Provider has issued the company an IP address range of 128.174.7.0 to 128.174.7.64. Provide a proposal that includes a Server solution, the amount of new computers, printers, and servers to purchase, and the Operating System to install. Also create a plan for IP addresses of the computers and servers. Finally, add network printers and shared group permissions for printers and file server storage. Be sure to provide the groups you create and the members of the groups.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business and Finance Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2010
Business Tutor: NorthwestAndrew,
 replied 8 years ago
NorthwestAndrew

A Windows domain should include at least 2 domain controllers. Existing NT servers should be phased out in favor of a Windows Active Directory domain. At least two new servers running Server 200x should be migrated into the network. The first can be installed in Mixed Mode as an NT 4 compatible BDC. The machine should then be promoted to a PDC before taking existing NT 4 servers off line and switching the domain to native mode. The second server can now join the active directory domain in native mode.

Security Groups:

Management

Programming

Sales

Graphics & Development.

Research

IT Staff

Printers & Permissions:

All groups should be given the "Print" permission. IT staff should be given "Print", "Manage Printers" and "Manage Documents". In addition the management groups may also need to have the "Manage Documents" permission.

Printers should be purchased and arranged for best physical access rather than necessarily by group. Printers not in physical proximity to their users should be restricted. Consider 1 printer per 5-10 people. If good physical access is available then printer pooling can be considered to maximize the use of printers and minimize downtime.

File Permissions:

All groups should be given "full control" of only their respective groups documents however removing access to delete may minimize issues with data loss. Consider denying the change permission for non "Creator/Owner" documents. In addition management should be given "read" access to the files of all groups. IT should retain full control of all groups except in the case of certain confidential documents. IT staff can be placed into the "Backup Operator" group to insure that they are able to make backups of such information despite otherwise non-permitted access.

IP Addressing:

A DHCP server can be setup to distribute the ISP provided addresses among the group however public IP addresses have fallen out of fashion on client machines. A better solution is to use private subnets for each group (connected by router) and setup the internet sharing service of Server 200x Routing and Remote Access for sharing internet access using one or more pooled public IP addresses via NAT. These addresses can also be reserved for future use for web servers and VPN access if need be.

Equipment & Software:

The proposed solution is applicable to Windows 2000, Server 2003 and Server 2008.

Windows 98 machines should probably be replaced with Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 compatible machines as Windows 98 is obsolete. Windows 7 Enterprise should be considered however XP is still somewhat popular with businesses. Microsoft is currently recommending the phase out of XP machines. Businesses who need to use XP would be advised to purchase a Microsoft licensing plan for Windows 7 clients that allows client downgrade rights. This will give the business maximum flexibility during future upgrades.

The plan does not specify the total number of employees or how they work. At least one computer per employee should be considered. Additional machines are helpful in the case of failures or migratory workers. Roaming Profiles can be used on these machines for convenience.

I appreciate the opportunity to serve you. If you have found this information helpful then please click the "accept" button. Consider leaving feedback as well to insure our experts are providing quality information to our customers.

Edited by Northwest Andrew on 6/15/2010 at 7:34 AM EST