Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

04 Buick lesabre. The car died while driving. Initially

Customer Question
after it stalled it would...
04 Buick lesabre. The car died while driving. Initially after it stalled it would crank and run very rough as long as I gave it some gas but put it in drive and it would stall. Let it sit for a few days and the car would crank and idle fine with no problems then after you drive a a couple miles it would stall out again an no longer start. I have changed the fuel filter and have 40 psi for fuel pressure. What else could it be?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Buick
5/27/2018
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago
Ivan Alvarez

H​ave you checked if you are getting spark?

the car will initially start and run rough. Then it will idle fine and take the gas as if it’s normal but after so long it will stall and After that it will start but not stay running it has a super rough idle almost at this piint
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

D​o you get any smoke out the tail pipe when its running rough? Also have you scanned it for any stored codes?

When running rough i have white smoke. The car is isn’t showing any codes
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

Has the car over heated recently? White smoke usually indicate coolant getting into combustion chamber.

The white smoke is when it idles rough. When the car is idling fine and driving for the little distance it will go there is no smoke at all. The car has never over heated. Never had any problems period it just all of a sudden died while driving about 2 weeks ago and now these problems
While throwing no codes at all
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

D​o you have access to a scanner that shows live data?

No I don’t what are you thinking
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

B​eing able to see live data while its running rough would help narrow things down. Usually when codes are not being set is because there is no electrical component fault. This would point to something mechanical. By what you are describing I don't think a mechanical failure is the problem only because your problem happens after driving for a couple miles. I have seen ignition modules and crank sensors fail with out setting codes and would happen only after engine compartment gets hot.

Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

A​gain data would be very helpful in narrowing down the cause.

Would the crank sensor or ignition module make it rough to initially start sometimes but as I give it gas it straightens out and then as the car heats up it causes it to a gas it does?
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

T​o be honest that sounds more of a coolant leak problem. Have you tried pulling out your spark plugs. If any of them are white that would indicate coolant in combustion chamber. You can also rent a coolant pressure tester at local part store. With this tool you can pressurize cooling system with car of and watch the pressure. If the pressure drops and there are no exterior leaks then you might have a faulty head gasket or intake gasket. I think this is something you should rule out. Car doesn't have to over heat for a gasket to fail.

Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

G​ive that a shot and let me know what you find. This post will stay open for seven days.

I pulled 2 of the spark plugs and neither were white I checked the oil as well to see if any coolant made it into the oil and it was clean also. Appears to be no leaks around the head gasket to the common eye. Have not put a tester to it yet
Buick Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

Ok. Let me know what the results are after your able to pressure test the cooling system.