Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue and have recently…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue and have recently replaced the programmer for the climate control. The outside air sensor reads -37 how does one update the programmer to read the temperature correctly? The AC controller comes up flashing when car is turned to ON position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

Yes, I replaced the sensor and have verified the 5 VDC to the sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Park Avenue yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am and have described my efforts above.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have also replaced the ECM

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Buick
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Buick Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

If you use a paperclip to bridge/short the connector for the sensor and turn the ignition on what temperature does it show?

At the sensor connector (not the sensor side) I have verified the 5 volts on the yellow wire and ground on the black wire.
With the sensor connected I have measured .7 volts at the sensor and the same at the input to the AC controller. I have a new programmer and outside air sensor.I saw a Buick Youtube video that mentions that the programmer and or sensor may need
to be calibrated to the AC controller.

But can you do what I asked?

I shorted the wires and after some time it ended up at 01
Buick Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago
eric remington
Do you have vin number
1G4CW54C7L1610436
Buick Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

I​ didn't find anything on recalibration...I assume you have disconnected battery for a short time?