Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a code 42 problem and a full page of tests that I…

Customer Question
I have a code...

I have a code 42 problem and a full page of tests that I have done by the service manual. Can you handle about 200 words?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Code 42. Replaced the brain and ignition module with battery disconnected

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

1988 Buick Regal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?

It all started with leakey head gaskets and ended with a full rebuild. Putting it all back together, cars runs poorly in start mode only.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I will send my circuit test results next

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Buick
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Buick Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 4 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

First off, how did you retrieve the codes form this car?

First we started with the battery negative terminal disconnected. Connected the battery, started the engine. It runs poorly and the check engine light comes on in about 3 seconds. Turned engine off, insert wire between pins A and B in the interior test plug under the steering wheel. Turned on the engine without starting, read the check engine light flashing codes. They read code 12 then 42
I just paid the fees yesterday. Why is the system asking me again?

The site should not have been asking you to pay again but it may have asked you if you wanted a live phone call. What all tests have you run so far?

I'm a retired audio technician and my friend who helped me rebuild the engine has several 1970 era classic mussel cars he rebuilt. He does not do computers.
We are starting with a rebuilt engine. It has been run long enough for a basic break in and has no water or oil leaks. Fuel pump pressure is about 45 lbs, vacuum is about 15 lbs at idle, water flows and the heater works. It runs a little rough and noisy. I drove it around the block and it has almost no power, if you step on it, it backfires, and my friend says it sounds like the spark timing is wrong. I installed new spark plugs, wires, and confirmed proper routing to the correct cylinders.
Scan tests were run, and I replaced the original ignition module because it read code 42 and it showed high resistance on by-pass input. The new ignition module does the same. Test continuity of ground, EST, By-Pass, and REF to the ignition module, OK. Checked for shorts, OK. All connectors are clean. There's .2 volts on [C9] the By-Pass where there should be 5 volts. By the manual, its not running in the EST mode and the manual suggests replacing the ignition module. (That didn't work)

Then we need to check for a short to ground on the feed wire. Do you have a test light so we can check it?

I have a standard VOM meter, Digital VOM meter, and a test light. I'm not sure what kind of feed you mean, (12 volt power / or signal)
I'm ready to test.