Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Smoke coming out pipe. 185k.... And yes coolant. 98 buick…

White smoke coming out...

White smoke coming out pipe

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

185k.... And yes coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

98 buick lesabre

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?

No... Took it to Nelson Hall Chevrolet... My car was running hot.... They thought I needed new gaskets but didnt... They replaced my radiator,thermostat,sensor, and fittings.... Its not running hot but white smoke comes out and when i ale the gas it makes a squeak noise by the pully

3/22/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Thanks

Your 1998 LaSabre has known issues with the upper intake a ruptured intake manifold at the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) passage and when this happens it allows coolant to enter the engine causing a loss of coolant as well as the white smoke you are seeing. You can check this by removing the throttle body and inspecting for a ruptured intake manifold at the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) passage. The passage will be located at the 6 o'clock position when looking into the plenum. It will be a hole approximately 5/8" in diameter. GM has also released a service bulletin dealing with this problem as well that calls for replacing the upper intake. I have enclosed the bulletin for your review in the link below as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1fihxe1gwcvz2i/Intake%20Mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you