Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Tail lights not working I mean license plate and backup.

Customer Question
Tail lights not working...

Tail lights not working I mean license plate and backup. Bulbs good or changed none burned out fuses ok. Remote trunk release sometimes does not work. Is there a relay in the circuit ? Checked connectors have not checked with voltmeter yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2000 century

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked fuses ok. Replaced license plate bulbs. Need to replace one of the two third brake light bulbs. Connections ok no obvious breaks in cabling

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be a relay?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Buick
3/19/2018
Buick Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

The usual cause of the problem is broken wires in the harness where it passes from the trunk lid hinge to the body of the vehicle. Open the wire loom there and look for damage.

Please let me know what you find and if you have further questions

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You were right. In the wire bundle the green and black wire are broken. Touch them together and lights work. Now the repair. I think I need to splice in two short extensions to provide strain relief and solder them. Then heat shrink them. Do you need a heat shrink gun, or can you use a hair dryer. Does this sound like a good plan?

It usually is there. Splice in what is needed, the real problem is the wire was not annealed properly so it is brittle and with the flexing it breaks.

If you don't have a heat gun you can carefully heat with a bic lighter. I don't know if a hair dryer is hot enough but you can certainly try.

Let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician