Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Buick enclave, chk engine light is on. P0420…

I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Buick enclave, chk engine light is on. P0420 code came back from a diagnostic. Replaced the fuel pump. Now having issues with the gas gage..I will fill the tank completely but the gauge reads that the car is empty. Gauge keeps fluctuating as I drive, from full to Empty. Now, I can't drive it without it sputtering to a stop, reading Power reduced to engine. Would a bad fuel pump, cat converter, or O2 sensor make my car shut down and sputter to a stop like that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

I don't know.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Enclave yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/17/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

While a bad fuel pump can cause the engine to sputter to a stop and cause issues with the gas gage, it will not set a P0420.

A bad O2 sensor, while it can set the P0420 code, will not cause it to sputter to a stop

A restricted converter will both set the P0420 code and cause it to sputter to a stop.

However it will not cause gas gauge reading issues.

So you have two separate issues - a bad converter and either the fuel level sensor on the fuel pump is defective out of the pump, loose connector at the pump or faulty gage. It the gas gage issue did not start until replacing the fuel pump, then it is either a defective unit out of the box or loose connector.

If you had a shop replace the pump, you need to return to them to have it checked and either correct loose connector or if connector ok, replace the pump under warranty

And for the P0420 code, you will need the converter replaced

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

The mechanic that is working on my car said that if the cat converter needs replacing and that that is the reason why my car is stopping, then he wouldn't have been able to drive my car at least 30 miles this morning. He feels like it isn't the cat converter that is causing my car to stop every now and then and say REDUCED POWER TO ENGINE. He says we wouldn't be able to drive the car at all if the cat converter was the issue. What is making my car sto, saying REDUCED POWER TO ENGINE?

HI,

Ok, you did not mention that it could be driven that long before the reduced power message came on and it sputtered to a stop.

Most likely the new fuel pump is defective out of the box.

I would replace it, erase the code and if the code returns but no sputtering to a stop and no reduced power message, replace the downstream O2 sensor

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager