Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I had a coolant leak in my 1994 Buick Century due to a

I had a coolant...

I had a coolant leak in my 1994 Buick Century due to a pinhole in the hose. My boyfriend tried to fix it and took a bunch of stuff apart..intake hoses etc. Now when i start the car it starts with really high RPM and boggs out almost immediately.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

I dont know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and he replaced all the hoses

3/17/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

this here sound like he has a vacuum line off ?

what engine you have 4 cyl or 6 cyl ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

ok
V6 and need to fix myself. Do you know where i can get a diagram

Click on link t vo view pdf file on the vacumm routing, we need t ocheck all these hoses are in place

Please Let Me Know if you can view file

Thank You

Chad Farhat

TB body area

Are there springs in the accelerator control cable bracket? If so how many

the springs fails on them ,here is the adjustment

there on round spring

Still dont have the buick running right i have attached a video so u can hear it

get the video on you tube and send me link, you can only upload pictures here no video .

let me know what have you done so far on it

https://youtu.be/znz5jcB68BE
He said something about he thinks there is a spring missing in the throttle somewhere?

yes it is not holding idle ,

what is spraying that he was talking about , was that fuel spraying ?

do this below

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

well it idle then

Coolant was spraying. So either it has a new leak or he never fixed the leak

this will be hard to figure out when i m away from it

he needs to take it apart again and start over

there is no guide fro putting things back together wromg

do not know what tell you

let me ask you something..would the fact that this is a california car make a difference. It was my grandmas car that was just brought here from los angeles

well it will have California emission ,but should be no difference as far as engine, only exhaust different

Ok one last idea bf sayin screw it and taking it to a shop.. Ignition control valve?
Idle control valve sorry

To be honest you might have to if there was a mistake putting back together and instead throwing parts at it ,but this the IAC Testing Procedure and the Reset procedure , have this done and if that does not work take to a repair shop

Read below and click on link to view

good luck with it

1994 Buick Century

L4-2.2L VIN 4

Idle Air Control (IAC) Reset Procedure

• Vehicle
  • Powertrain Management
  • Fuel Delivery and Air Induction
  • Idle Speed/Throttle Actuator - Electronic
  • Testing and Inspection
  • Component Tests and General Diagnostics
  • Idle Air Control (IAC) Reset Procedure

Idle Air Control (IAC) Reset Procedure

IMPORTANT: If installing a new IAC valve, be sure to replace with an identical part. IAC valve pintle shape and diameter are designed for the specific application.

Measure the distance between tip of IAC valve pintle and mounting flange. If greater than 28 mm, use finger pressure to slowly retract the pintle. The force required to retract the pintle of a new valve will not cause damage to the valve.

Reset IAC valve pintle position:
a. Disconnect negative battery cable for at least ten seconds to clear PCM memory.
b. Reconnect negative battery cable.
c. Start engine, check for proper idle operation.

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Chad Farhat