Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 LeSabre. The old battery kept dying, and the…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 LeSabre. The old battery kept dying, and the security light was on a lot. I bought a new battery and alternator and the car seemed fine for a while. I didn't drive it for a few days and now there is no power at all. The car is completely dead. I put a battery charger on it but it says the battery is good. I have heard that after a number of years the GM security system can cause weird things like this to happen. I'm wondering if it might be that, or instead a problem along the conventional battery/fuse/starter path. Again, it's more than the car simply not cranking. The car has no electrical power whatsoever. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It happened a couple times before but we blamed it on the battery. The current battery is again brand new and it did fine for about a week or so. The car sat for three days and is now completely dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, trying to fix it myself. New battery and alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Throughout most of this, the security light on the dash has been on....for whatever reason. I'm wondering if the GM security system might be to blame. The car is now 18 years old.

3/12/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician

Hi there - before going too far on this one, please check the battery terminal connections. The GM system wont kill power to the whole car... Do you have access to a voltmeter?

I do have a voltmeter.

Ok - first things... I've never really liked those side terminal batteries, so please check the connections, and can you check the voltage of the battery for me?

Ok. I'll be right back.

Also , I suspect the car has a parasitic draw if the battery keeps dying, however... some of this depends upon how long the car sits

Disconnected the battery. Its reading approx 7 volts.

Battery is dead...

So that is the first issue. I can send you a link to help chase the parasitic draw if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

Check out the comments on this one, as the tech makes a math mistake, but his technique is excellent.

This can help you track down which circuit is staying alive an d draining the battery.

These were probably some of the best cars GM ever built... worth fixing if it doesn't have a million miles on it.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician