Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lift gate was operating this morning. Went to carwash and…

Customer Question
Lift gate was operating...

Lift gate was operating this morning. Went to carwash and now it unlatches but wont raise unless I catch the release just right to manually raise the gate

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2011 enclave

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Enclave yourself? What have you tried so far?

Turned switch off and back on at console rocker switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have disconnected the rod that the actuator uses to lift the gate. My gate struts are fine

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

I have not

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Buick
3/11/2018
Buick Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It will require some testing utilizing a scan tool to monitor data to read fault codes and monitor data to determine exactly what is wrong. From your description of how you open it manually it sounds as if you most likely have a bad pawl switch within the latch and it isn't seeing that the latch is moving to the open position. If that's the case then the latch will need to be replaced.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Will the blue driver scanner read the codes for the lift gate?

That's a code reader rather than a scan tool and only capable of communication with the engine, ABS and airbag modules.

What else can I do to test the latch? It does release but will not auto pull the gate back to fully closed

A scan tool is needed to perform any testing.