Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is a 1999 Buick Century, something is draining the

It is a 1999...

It is a 1999 Buick Century, something is draining the battery. Replaced battery, and alternator. Something still draining battery. Could you suggest what might be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes the battery is fine. No, not leaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked out starter, and automatic trunk switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked radio, and other electrical connections.

1/17/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Would you like a test to help pinpoint the battery draw?

Can we just do this online

Sounds good.

To diagnose this condition, you are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down. To do this, you will need to disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw that will need to be diagnosed. To find out what circuit the battery draw is on, disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on. Once this is done, you can check each individual component on this circuit until you determine what is causing the battery draw and simply replace the faulty part or component.

If you use a voltmeter to do this, anything over 100 miliamps is too much draw. I hope this helps.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you gonna try this on Saturday

You are most welcome. I am glad I can help. Please dont forget to rate.

Have a great night!

Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic