Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1993 Buick Riviera ran car hot three days leather car crank…

Customer Question
1993 Buick Riviera ran car...
1993 Buick Riviera ran car hot three days leather car crank will not start check Ignition Module Crankshaft Position Sensor and replace booth are bad car will not start check oil sending unit and replacecar crank will not start no fuel pressure try to start with starting fluid and backfires in engine HELP
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Buick
1/15/2018
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Buick Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge at all and if so what is the pressure reading on the gauge?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

no fuel pressure 0
o fuel pressure try to start with starting fluid and backfires in engine
o fuel pressure try to start with starting fluid and backfires in engine(no response)
no response

I apologize for the delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like the common failure of the fuel pump itself.The fuel pump was common to cause this issue here as it fails suddenly.You would need to test power and ground signals to the pump.The gray wire should have at or near 12 volts DC and the black wire ground.The gray wire will only have at or near 12 volts DC when the key is first turned on the first 2 seconds or when cranking over the engine.If you have power and ground and no fuel pressure the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Since it backfired in engine with starting fluid this indicates spark is working and there is not enough fuel to start it due to the faulty pump.The starting fluid will make it back fire unfortunately due to lack of fuel pressure.I have had to replace several fuel pumps on this model vehicle before for this same fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

after starting fluid I tried gas will not start

Even with starting fluid or gas it will not have enough fuel pressure to start.You need a minimum pressure of around 40 psi at a minimum in order for the engine to start.With 0 pressure this does sound like the fuel pump is the cause needing replaced which was a very common component to fail.You need to test the power and ground to the pump to be sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

with this buick gravidae feed work beford

I apologize as I don't understand your last reply.Can you re post or let me know what you're asking for your last reply here?

Thanks Pete

with this buick gas gravidae feed ran the car

Ok thanks for that

Unfortunately, gravity feed will not work as it needs a minimum of 40 psi of pressure for the injectors to atomize properly to allow engine starting and running.You would need to replace the weak fuel pump to resolve this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Buick Technician