Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

I have aand the horn fuse was I replaced the fuse and the…

Customer Question
I have a*****and the horn...
I have a*****and the horn fuse was blown I replaced the fuse and the horn went off until the fuse blew again.I believe it may be the pad inside the airbag assembly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Buick
1/13/2018
Buick Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sounds good

It is possible for the problem to be with the wiring behind the airbag. There is a spiral cable behind the steering wheel that allows the wires to turn with the steering wheel. That commonly goes bad as well. Sometimes turning the wheel will make the horn stop going off. If so, then you could have a shorted spiral cable. But at the very least you should remove the airbag first and take a look at the wiring.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wiring behind the airbag....Do you mean behind the steering colume .
Are you referring to the closckspring? What would be the best way to go about this....When I take airbag off their are 2 connectors and the wires wrap around. The fuse blows pretty much instantly so I was reading and it was saying the 95 park avenues have this pad problem.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way a test individual componants via the connectors on the air bag assembly?

Yes the spiral cable is the clockspring. It could be the pad. You could disconnect the connector from clockspring on the steering wheel side and see if the fuse still blows. If it does then the clockspring may be shorted. If it only blows with the wires hooked up you could have a pad issue. Which is common.

Other wires to test wires involve using an ohm meter to check continuity. But you will have to access the wires on top of the clockspring and the wires at the bottom of the column to test them.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took off the airbag and when i got it off i replaced the fuse and as soon as i plugged the connectors back in the fuse blew. would it be safe to rule out the clock spring or not?

Yeah. That does not sound like the clockspring is shorted as it would have blew the fuse before the connectors where plugged back in.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could there be anything else other than just the pad or should i start there?

Shorted wires at various spots can cause this, but since you have isolated the part of the circuit where the fuses stops blowing I would start with the pad.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok where would i purchase the pad? Ive searched the model number and nothing pulls up?

That part is obsolete from the dealer. We would look them up on www.car-part.com and get a used one.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician