Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Installing an aftermarket stereo, no power to the unit. I…

Customer Question
Installing an aftermarket stereo, no...
Installing an aftermarket stereo, no power to the unit. I used a wiring diagram I found online, but I have a red ACC cable on my new headunit that I can't find anything to connect it to.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Buick
1/6/2018
Buick Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Did you not use the aftermarket wring harness adapter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My unit came with one harness, but I didn't purchase an other on the car side.

oh no thats not good, always get the harness, so im guessing its cut now ill send you the vehicle side of the wire layout

does that have the factory amp?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure if it has an amp.

I need to know that to get you the right information, another thing you can do is get the vehicle side harness back on and get the new radio harness and then its just color to color, another thing I see in that pic you sent is it looks like the wires wernt stripped very well and they need to be seated in the connector fully, I like to solder and heat shrink but if you are going to use connectors I would use red for the smaller gauge and blue for your bigger ones, a set of wire strippers and a crimper is always good to have

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again, I cut the factory harness off, there's no way I'm getting it back on. How would I know if my factory radio has an amp? I used butt connectors and a crimper.

I know you cut it off but they offer a replacement harness you can get that will get it back factory and then you can get the adapter, heres the removal procedure for that to find if you have a amplifier or not ]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oxrrasubr8gfea/printout.docx?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But why would I need the adapter if I'm connecting everything wire to wire? And is the only way to see if I have an amp is physically opening the rear window trim? I was told that best buy will install a head unit for $100, I already have the mounting bracket, should I just pay them?

to get everything back to factory some things in the harness if it has an amp it helps convert the wires to where they need to go more than a diagram can show, and yes i would have them install it so its right

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me specifically what I need to re attach the cut harness in the car to an adapter? Amazon link preferably.

does it say bose anywhere or do you have a center speaker in the dash?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn't say Bose anywhere and no center speaker in the dash.

ok so you have no amp that should be easy to wire up, heres the diagram for that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7ryv6mt9b0cu7k/sat21.docx?dl=0

Heres the link to the reverse harness and regular adaptor harness

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12650_Metra-71-2003-1.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_125159_Axxess-AX-GMCL2.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need a reverse harness to replace what I cut. And the regular harness that I should have purchased the first time to connect to the new radio. Correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess what I'm asking is, if I brought those two harnesses and the mounting kit I bought from Amazon and the radio, Best Buy will have everything they need to relieve me of this shitshow I've created?
This is the mount I bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT16HW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

no you wont have to buy any of that, they have everything there and they may be able to direct wire it with out it and save you some money

the mount will be fine though but I wouldnt worry about the harness if your going to take it to them

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called a little while ago and they said the harness is $120 through them. Not the reverse one.

oh snap ok yeah get those 2 just incase you can always return them if they dont use it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I don't understand though, why I need a reverse harness if I'm touching wire to wire on the new unit? Could I not be getting power because my contacts aren't good between the orange/power and ground/ground?

its not color to color though you have to pay attention to the diagram and I dont know why its not turning on did you check power at the wire and ground to see if your getting power there?

have you checked it for power though with a voltmeter or test light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The new head unit has a ACC red cable, and I don't see anything in the diagram that covers that. I originally had that connected to orange. I also checked the stereo fuse and it was fine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have a voltmeter or test light. I could grab one from Home Depot.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if all the speaker wires were wrong, shouldn't I be able to connect power and ground and see the unit come on?

can you send a picture of the stereo diagram

yeah that would help too, I just wanna make sure im getting the right info here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX8AB9/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IBW95E3NNC2F6&colid=1PJJOKFWKKTRB&psc=1
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried the stereo red on car orange and that didn't work either.

I think we need a voltmeter or test light here you may not even have power at all going to it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If no power is going to it, what would I have to fix? Is that typical to have this problem removing a factory unit?

no most people get the harness and we will have to trace it back to the fuse and f no power there then there could be some bigger issues

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there just one fuse to check, the fuse for the radio?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also noticed on the diagram that there are two grounds A12 and B5. I only have the A12 connected. There is only one ground coming from the new radio.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just used a voltmeter and the orange wire didn't set it off. The only wire that was hot was the grey wire, that I think, is for the car radio dimmer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was with the car turned on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any help today?

yeah im just getting back reviewing your question now

ok so you need to now go to the fuse panel and check the fuse with your tool on end end of the fuse with key on

its on the right side of the inner dash panel marked radio amp

hows it going?

Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician