Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Cost for 2011 buick enclave Cylinder Head Replacement

Customer Question
cost for 2011 buick enclave Cylinder Head Replacement
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Buick
1/3/2018
Buick Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Do both heads need to be replaced or just 1? Do heads or only head gaskets need to be replaced? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
car misfired briefly today and engine light came on.. it drove fine to dealership... they said oil on spark plugs and cylinder head replacement was needed and recommended doing both as precaution. tech said: SCANNED FOR CODES P0303 CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE INSPECTED AND TESTED IGNITIONAND FUEL SYSTEMS FOUND OIL GETTING INTO SPARK PLUG PORT TUBE WHICH IS PART OF CYLANDER HEAD PRESSED INTO. NOT REPAIRABLE WOULD NEED TO REPLACE CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
77,000 MILES DRIVEN EASY
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ARE YOU THERE?

Sorry about delay.

Give me a minute to look up costs, thanks.

It is a 17 hour job, each head is about $600 each, then the gaskets and other miscellaneous are around $600. Dealer charges around $100 per hour for labor so cost is going to be at least $3500 and up to $4500. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IS THAT TO DO ONE OR BOTH... DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO BOTH WHILE I AM AT IT?

That is to do both. Cost of replacing both adds a extra $600 so I think it is probably worth doing both considering $600 isn't saving much at that point. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
DEALER SAID ABOUT 5000 FOR ONE AND 1200 FOR THE ADDITIONAL HEAD

That seems a bit high, if you can get me a price breakdown of where they are getting that price I can help you cut costs by giving you links to buy parts yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HE ONLY GAVE ME A BALLPARK TIL THE MORNING... THIS ALL HAPPEN AT CLOSING TIME. OF COURSE. ISNT THIS UNUSUAL FOR A CAR THIS YOUNG DRIVEN EASY...

In the morning when he gives you the exact cost ask him to print off a quote for you then send it to me, if it is much over $4500 I can try to help you buy the parts you need yourself or figure out why price seems to be so much. From what I'm seeing I don't think cost should be over $4500 for both heads.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I reach you?

You can reply to this answer the same way you are now without additional fee's.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much for your help... appreciate it..

No problem, I'm happy to help. I'll talk to you tomorrow, have a good night.

Sorry about delay, I ended up getting sick and have been sleeping most of the day. You can order the parts yourself from www.gmpartsdirect.com and it should save you 20%-30% but buying OEM parts are usually a bit expensive. Replacing just the one cylinder head with a low mileage used head and buying aftermarket gasket set would bring price down to about. So I guess it really depends on how tight with cash you are and hwo goo of parts you want installed. Buying the parts yourself off website will save you around $500 but with the overall cost it really isn't that much. Since it is a 17 hour job you could call around some other shops to get quotes, you might be able to find a shop that charges around $80 a hour so that would be about $1400 or labor then if you bought a aftermarket head gasket kit and a used cylinder head total price would be around $2000. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Buick Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 19 days ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician