Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It’s been having issues starting after getting gas. Got gas…

Customer Question
It’s been having issues...

It’s been having issues starting after getting gas. Got gas this morning and it will not start. Changed purge valve and still won’t start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No. It always starts fine except right after getting fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2009 Enclave

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Enclave yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Changed the solenoid purge valve. Still won’t start.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Buick
12/30/2017
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Buick Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue here at all or have you had the fault codes checked/read out at all to see what codes are set with this issue?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks, Pete.

CEL is on. Haven’t had it checked. Looked on a Buick forum and saw that many people fixed the issue by changing the purge valve. I did that and it still won’t start.

The purge valve was a common valve to stick on sucking in fuel through the vapor line flooding out the engine causing a hard start.But in this case, you have replaced it and still have the same issue.The other common cause is the canister becomes saturated with fuel needs replaced as well as the evap vent valve as it sticks on causing fuel to be pushed into the canister.The fault codes need to be read out to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set then need to be fully diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.I suspect it may need the canister or vent valve or both.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I replaced the solenoid purge valve. I have no way to get the codes read the car is dead and i can’t afford to have it towed and repaired.

If you loosen the gas cap when this happens does it start then?If it does then I suspect the vent valve at fault.But you want to check the canister to see if any fuel runs out of it.If any fuel runs out it will need to be replaced as well.

In allot of cases a local parts store can read out fault codes free of charge.I have even heard of some of them renting out a scan tool so you can read the codes yourself.Having the fault code number for this issue here will help to diagnose and locate the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

I’m sorry I’m a single mother and have no idea what the canister is

No problem

Basically, this is how it works.The fumes from the fuel tank are sucked into the engine by the purge valve.In line between the purge valve and fuel tank is the canister assembly.This assembly cleans the fuel vapors as well as picks up any actual fuel in the vapor line.The vent valve is used to open and close to allow fresh air into the fuel tank.If the vent valve is stuck closed when you put fuel in or if the vent lines on the top of the tank are plugged or damaged this causes fuel to be pushed into the vapor system causing this hard start.This will also saturate the canister with fuel.

Thanks Pete

Ok, i just know the part we replaced is the solenoid purge valve. I’m unsure on any of the other stuff. The battery has died now so i have to wait to get someone to try to jump it off to see if we can start it.

O.k., the rest of the components I have listed above need to be checked but the very best thing you could do to make this easier to diagnose is to have the fault codes read out.There is most likely one code set related to this issue that will help quite a bit to diagnose and repair this fault here.There may be a code set pointing to the component needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

I will see if i can get a reader and get a code.

O.k., if you can get the codes read out and post the code info here this will help.

Thanks Pete

P0442 P0017 P0008 P0016 P0336

P0442 is evap system small leak detected.This leaves the fault at a wide range of possible evap issue.This is going to take an evap smoke machine to inject smoke into the evap components to find the leak to repair it.This can be the fuel tank, fuel vapor hoses, vent valve or canister at fault unfortunately and does require special testing to locate the fault.

P0336 is crank sensor fault.If the engine does not start at all there is a good chance that the crank sensor is faulty needing replaced.This was a common component to cause this code and issue here.

P0008 is engine performance bank 1.This an be the crank sensor at fault causing this

P0016 and P0017 are both crank sensor correlation faults.

I suspect all that is needed here is a new crank sensor replaced.This sensor is located under the exhaust manifold as shown below.It runs around $50 to $100 for this sensor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh37717e2r6erkv/cr-12-30.png?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Is this something i can possibly fix myself? Or my dad can fix?

This is something anyone with a little mechanical knowledge should be able to replace.It usually only has one bolt holding it in and one connector plugged into it needs to be removed.

Thanks Pete

Where is it located? We can’t find it

What liter engine is in your model so I can double check I posted the right location?

3.6

It should be as location number 4 as shown in the diagram above.It is towards the back of the engine below the exhaust manifold on the passenger side if observing the link I sent above.

Thanks Pete

Should we be looking from up top or under the vehicle. The diagram isn’t really helping much because it’s not turned the same way.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline when you replied last night.

It can be tricky to get to and you may have to access it from the bottom/under the vehicle in some cases.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Buick Technician