Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Traction control light and abs light came on in my car. It…

Customer Question
Traction control light and...

Traction control light and abs light came on in my car

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

It was on also but went off. So now just abs and traction control lights are on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2005 Buick allure

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Allure yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I replaces all 4 strut spring assembly s. Now these lights came on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Buick
12/30/2017
Buick Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This usually means one of the wheel speed sensors have failed which are built into the wheel bearings. You will need to start by having diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. This will tell you what wheel bearing is setting code, then check wiring going to bearing assembly, if wiring is good replace the wheel bearing. This is about a $300 job to have done at a shop depending on where you go. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great. Also my speedo is off by a lot also

This usually means one of the wheel speed sensors have failed which are built into the wheel bearings. You will need to start by having diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. This will tell you what wheel bearing is setting code, then check wiring going to bearing assembly, if wiring is good replace the wheel bearing. This is about a $300 job to have done at a shop depending on where you go. How much off is your speedometer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes are coming up. I have a code scanner and nothing is showing

Your scantool probably only shows PCM codes, abs codes are stored in their own module and need a scantool capable of reading abs codes. But any time the abs light is on that means there is a code stored in the abs module. How far off is speedometer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's off by about 20kmph

At all speeds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seems to get further off the faster I go

I would start by making sure the recommended tire size is installed and if so this would most likely mean the instrument cluster has failed, this is about a $400-$500 repair at dealership. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician