Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 buik la sabre with a parcitic battery draw I…

Customer Question
Hi...

Hi I have a 2004 buik la sabre with a parcitic battery draw I read 210 ma draw after car sets for about 1 hour

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I have taken it to my mechanic and the dealer both say they only get 20-30 ma and say the battery and alt are good -- and could not fix

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Buick?

La sabre

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I narrowed the 210 ma blead to the fusebox under the back seat . I have tried pulling fuses but eith it made no difference of the amps went up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much is the cost

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Buick Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I am at work right now can you give him my information and send a link to my email so I can contact him when I am home

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Buick
12/30/2017
Buick Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, which fuse(s) pulled from the rear fuse box cause an increase in amperage as that is a bit unusual and may point us in the right direction

I can't remember. I will pull the fuses again and reply back
18 when fuse is pulled interior lights go on
# 29 amps go up to 2.6 amps. Drops back down to 220 ma when I put the fuse back in.
#30 when I pull the fuse there is no change. But when I put the fuse back in it goes to 2.3 amp the drops to 220 ma
#57 when pulled am ps go to .5 a the drop to 220 ma
#36 when pulled goes to 2 amp the drops to 220 ma.
I had also pulled the relays one at a time. --No change in amps.
All other fuses when I pulled them still had 220ma.

Gotta admit I am stumped on this one after going thru the schematics. I will open this back up to other experts

Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago
Reggie Whiddon

Hello my name is ***** ***** i would like to help you. The fuses that you pull that cause the amperage to go up your restarting different modules kinda like opening and closing a door. Lets focus on what fuse you pull that makes the draw go down. And just to be sure you are checking this with your ammeter in series between the negative battery cable and the battery is that right? Have you pulled a fuse that made the draw decrease?

HI I started with the meter set to ma in series between the battery and negative cable . After letting it set for and hour .I got a reading of 220 -230 ma. On the positive battery I noticed the cable split. one part went to the fuse box under the back seat. Not sure where the other portion went to.I checked from the positive side of the battery to the contact to the fuse box and got 220-230ma. I check ma for the other branch of the positive cable and got 0 ma. So I figured whatever was drawing current had to be going through the fuse box in the back seat. I have pulled all the fuses in the back seat box and can't get the current to drop at all. I thought I would get at least some drop from the car radio clock since that need current when the car is off.Just for information the car battery is 8 months old and dealer checked and said looked good. Also Alert was checked and is supposed to be working properly.. Both my usual mechanic and the dealer mechanic amp readings were 20-30 ma. That is why they gave up. I thought I there might be something wrong with my meter so I put it in series with my charger and the battery at manual setting of 2 amps . My meter read about 1.8 amps . That confirmed I was reading the right scale. I am thinking both mechanics we reading the the wrong scale.
Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

Hello sorry for the long delay. I agree with you sounds like you are reading correctly a draw like that will kill a good battery overnight. However you need to pull all the fuses one at a time in all fuse box until you see the draw go away i beleive you have one underhood and one underdash i can look or you may already know there location. With the meter in series on the negative side of the battery remove each fuse until you locate the source of the drain dont forget to unplug the alternator for they can be responsible for the drain. How quick does this kill your battery and how often another commen area for a drain on your car is one of the door jamb switchs reading door open and causing the Body control module to remain active. If you have access to a scan tool i would ck for codes and then check the operation of all door ajar switch to include trunk and hood if applicable

I can check the fuse box under the hood . I have already disconnected the alternator no change in the ma. I do not know where the under the dash fusebox is. I will need to the location. I takes 3 days to kill the battery.I will have to take it to have them scan for error codes.They do it for free. Should I have them open and close the door then read for codes ?. You mentioned the door jam switch . I know the switch that turns the radio off when the car is off and the door is opened sticks sometimes. I that the one you are talking about ?
Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes sir in each door latch there is a switch that is either open or closed that switch is data to the bcm and a switch fails and reads open when it is closed that input causes the body control module to stay in an awake status never going to sleep and the drain would be about the drain you have but that information is found in the body control module if you are going to a parts store there obd code reader will not see this

Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

From what your telling me that switch your talking about i bet you is your problem

how do I verify that is the problem ?. The door latches looked to be over a hundred dollars. Does the door latch switch go through a fuse ? I had originally thought it was the problem --so before measuring the milli amps I would manually move the switch so the radio would go off. I tried cleaning the latch out but it did not do any good. The latch does not always recoil all the time so I would move the latch or open and close the door again.If there is a fuse I can pull it or if not what do I need to do ?
Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

No sir it doesnt go through a fuse it is a switch incorporated into the latch assembly cleaning and lubricating does sometimes help. The easiest way to ck there operation is with a scan tool you would go into the body control module and view their input status while opening and closing door. Do you have access to a scan tool if you dont alot of shops would scan it for you for cheap so long as you tell them the particular data you want to see and release them from any diagnostic obligation its quick easy money for them. Alternatively i can look up the wire color and location in the connector and you could ck for closed or open circuit at bcm

Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

I will do that now give me a little time to research this and get it to you.

Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago
1. At the left rear door module (behind the door panel), check voltage on the Light Blue/Black wire pin B.

2. It should have voltage (use a voltmeter not a test light), then when the door ajar switch closes it pulls the voltage down to 0 indicating the door is not latched tight.

3. If there is no voltage on the wire with the door shut, disconnect the latch switch. If the voltage comes up, replace the latch switch.

4. If there is still no voltage, open the wire at the module, if the voltage comes back, trace the wire for it is grounded. If there is no voltage from the module, verify good power and ground to the module, replace the module as needed.
Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

That is the procedure for checking one of the rear doors i will get you the wire color for each door here is the problem we cant go to the bcm and check them all because it is communicated over the serial bus so we would have to remove each door panel and check each individually i am gone go against that a scan tool is the way to go. And we still need to verify the source of the draw. Although from what you have told me i truly do beleive this may be your problem. I will wait on you to tell me about getting a scan before we go any further. Have you pulled fuses and seen which fuse is our draw?

for the scan. Tell me exactly what I need to tell them.
Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

Good morning okay tell them you want all codes from all modules and then specifically you would like to go into the Body control module and the door modules and look at the data for the door ajar switch they will either read open or closed you need to make sure that there reading corresponds with the position of the door and have them open and close each door a few times. If we are right you will have one saying open even when it is closed.

I pulled the fuses in the fuse box under the hood . No luck finding and amp drop. I will call you before I take the car in for a scan.I still had some questions. I think it would be easier for me to call you. I have to work 12 hr for the next 3 days ,so it will be after that.In the mean time are there any other fuse boxes on this car ? the owners manual only mentioned the 2.
Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

The one under the rear seat and the one under the hood. If that is what your owners manual said thats all youhave. I agree a phone call is best i can walk you through the test

Buick Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 7 months ago

Hello are you ready to proceed with this just checking in with you

not yet