Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

As the temperature gets colder, the engine has an

Customer Question
As the temperature gets...

As the temperature gets colder, the engine has an increasingly difficult time turning over. It cranks but if it does start up the Tach jumps all over and eventually it just quits. If i let it rest for awhile then start it up again it usually will be fine. Once it gets running its fine. Though i experience some difficulty in throttle response when going uphill in the cold around 60mph

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

CEL comes on after awhile of the engine starting. However once the engine is running good (after its warmed up) no light appears

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

1995 regal custom. 3.1 L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything and yes im fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has 280k miles.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Buick
12/27/2017
Buick Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 7 months ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** what you are explaining it sounds like you have one of two issues going on here. Most of the time this is a crankshaft position sensor failure. I have seen this a lot on this engine. It tells the computer the speed of the engine and that would also explain the tach fluctuation. It can also be the ignition module which is located under the ignition coil pack. Both of these are common on this vehicle but it can be hard to diagnose which one it is. I would usually replace the crank sensor first as that is the most common. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance as I strive for an excellent rating. Thank you.

Where is the Cranshaft position sensor located? Can i test it to ensure thats the problem?

You can only test it with an Oscope or with a scan tool that reads engine data. You would monitor engine speed when cranking through a scan tool to see if it is bad. The sensor is located on the side of the engine block. There are two of them.

I pulled four error codes
16 DIS fault in circuit
17 cam position sensor fault
42 EST circuit grounded
62 high oil temperature indicatedIt will no longer turn over ans its 14 degrees.Is there a difference between the cam and crank sensors?

The cam and crank sensors are different sensors. It may indeed be a cam sensor. With the other codes coming up it makes me thing that it is the ignition module under the coil pack.

Is the coil pack located in the distributor? Or where is it located?

The coil pack is where all of the ignition wires connect to.

you think the module may be corroded? Could a temporary remedy be to clean it if that were the case?

It is possible. There can be corrosion on the bottom side of it preventing it from grounding right so you may want to remove it and make sure it is not corroded.

Okay cool. Would the cold or moist weather exacerbate that problem?

Yes, this part is susceptible to changed in humidity and temperature.

Replaced the ICM. No change but i do smell burnt wires or something burning as the engine tries to run. It will run very rough for a few seconds then stalls out and dies out with a squeak sound. Cam and crank codes now
Is the tach still doing the same thing?
Kindof. Like it jumps byt not as much because the engine wont start up. It wont go above 600 rpm
Replaced cam sensor. Turns over first try now but stalls out a few seconds later. Voltometer is maxed out and jumps wildly too. Saw that wire near tge cam sensor is oil covered and has a small exposure in the housing
Also traced the wire from the cam sensor up to where the wires first branch and the entire 12 inches or so was oil soaked and the plastic housing had crumbled away. At the branching off point for the wires they are frayed and exposed.
It is possible that the oil is skewing the reading. Did you try the crank sensor. It is more likely than the cam sensor.