Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

New alternator had battery checked reading 12.43 hooked up…

Customer Question
New alternator had battery...

New alternator had battery checked reading 12.43 hooked up to car started battery reading 11.70

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Buick?

2007 Lucerne 3,8 v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lucerne yourself? What have you tried so far?

Newalternator had battery checked reading 12,40 volts

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Buick
12/23/2017
Buick Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Do you have battery voltage at the red/black wire on the back of the alternator?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

The engine control module controls the charging of the alternator through 2 wires. The gray and the orange at the alternator. If the alternator is not charging then those 2 wires need to be checked for an open or high resistance. It is possible a bad engine computer but wiring faults are a lot more common.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

what should they read

You will not check for a voltage reading, since the engine computer sends out a varying voltage signal to the alternator for how much it wants to charge depending on input from the battery sensor. You need to disconnect the circuits at the alternator and at the engine computer, then check them with an ohm meter or load test each circuit by powering a bulb with the circuit.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Have you made progress in checking your alternator?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!