Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I own a 2015 Buick Encore AWD. Having trouble with the TCS/

Customer Question
Good morning, I own a...
Good morning, I own a 2015 Buick Encore AWD. Having trouble with the TCS/ Stabilitrak. I previously owned a 2009 Malibu. When on snow, and heavy gas was applied the system would manage the ABS you could hear it making grunting noises as braking was applied and RPM to allow the car to proceed at a safe speed with traction.
My Encore does none of those things. It has the same systems, but the car is able to spin the wheels freely when on snow. Both lights come briefly on during start up, no trouble codes appear. I have been given a variety of lousy answers by the dealer, stopping just short of needing a flux capacitor.
The final answer was the Malibu used a Bosch stabillitrak controller and the Encore uses a Mando MGH60 controller and they operate differently. Fine - but explain. Its quieter and does not flash the dash light during times of low traction, does not seem right. Especially since the wheels are spinning, and the system appears to be doing nothing.
No codes = everything is good. Have a nice day...
How can I escalate this, or describe in a way that it will get attention.
Does the brand of the controller make a difference, the GM feature name and dash lights are the same.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Buick
12/21/2017
Buick Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

What brand and model tires are you using? How deep is your tread?

I had the standard continental contiprocontact tires up until 3 weeks ago. They were worn badly up front from spinning on acceleration from stop, coupled with me not rotating them as often as I should have. I figured this uneven wear was the problem. Recently replaced with 4 Nokian WR-G3 SUV tires 215/55 18. Problem was the same with each. Wheelspin at from a stop. And no TCS OR stabilitrak indicator illuminating. This past week I had all wheels spinning in snow and the car drifting to the right. Still no dash lights indicating either system was active, no antilock brakes or RPM reduction by the system. The TC button on the dash toggles the systems off and on as it should. No trouble codes.

Those Nokian tires are nice. Have you had the alignment checked? Not related to your wheel spin issue.

Is your awd system working? Do the rear wheels spin?

I did not have the alignment done. It does not seems to track straight on the highway. The front tire wear on the old tires was even, not more on inside or out of the tire. Dealer said the and was working on a lift. Along with the other systems.

This is an issue for the engineers especially if it is still under warranty. You will probably have to contact GM customer care and maybe get the local engineer involved. They are the ones that will be able to help and if others are having the same problem then GM may come up with a software update or a service bulletin to correct the problem. You have to go above the dealership.

It is under warranty. I just hate having to "call the customer care line" on my dealer. They told me they were going to open a discovery ticket and call GM. But chose to just attribute it to being the mando system vs there standard Bosch system.

Ok I did not know that the dealer already escalated the issue. Not much you will be able to do at this time besides wait for a technical service bulletin to come out.

They ended up not escalating. They told me a field tech happened to be there that morning and they asked him. He told then the stabilitrak systems were different. That difference is not reflected in my owners manual. It says it operates the same as the rest of the GM cars. I'm just not certain how the Traction control behaves on a AWD, since I can only compare it to my Malibu.

They have your complaint on record, so if others complain of the same issue they will come up with a solution. The AWD system should not need to use traction control that often especially with those winter tires you have.

Buick Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 3 months ago

Now that I have provided a full or partial answer a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated. You can do this by clicking on the stars in the upper right hand corner. Rating will not close out our chat session and we will be able to respond to each other as many times as needed for free. Providing a positive rating is the only way I receive credit for my work with you.

Customer service is my number one goal. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question answered!

Dan, ASE Master Technician