Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 lesabre has been sitting for a year. had to replace…

Customer Question
2001 lesabre has been...

2001 lesabre has been sitting for a year. had to replace battery, than i thought ignition switch, and then the starter tested bad. still wont crank after I replaced all those

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Its a brand new battery the other one was 6 years old thats why I replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am capable. I replaced ignition switch and starter which tested bad. now when i try to to start all the dash lights go dead but no noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should get him started if he knows buicks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Buick
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Buick Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Did you do the 30 minute relearn on the anti theft system after you replaced all those parts?

im not sure i did something i found online but not 30 mins
the security light flashes when I put the acc position and then it goes out so i thought security was bot the issue.

If you do not turn the switch to the start position, the system may not flash the security light. Try doing the relearn and tell me what the security light does.

i did that and now with the cold the battery and dead again since there is nothing to keep it charged. there is a loud clicking sounding coming from a fuse in the box under the back seat. I will have to try to jump start tomorrow to see if relearned work

If the battery is dead, you will have to recharge the battery and do the relearn again.

even with the battery low I would have thought it would have made some sound. does sitting a year hurt the computer

It should not. But the fuel in the tank may have damaged the fuel pump. We will get to that after we have it turning over. If the battery voltage is to low, the starter will not make a sound some times.

i will have it put on a fast charge tomorrow then we can return to this

Just let me know when you are ready to get back to it.

The relearn did not wprk. When I put to on every thing behaves as it did before we parked it. When I turn the key to start dash lights go dead and no noose

Did the security light flash for the 10 minutes and then go out?

No it only comes on 5 seconds when I go to on
Is that what I need it to do. I have to get the headlights to go out with the key on so it doesn't drain the battery.

Let me know what the security light does.

when I turn the key to the on position the light flashes for less than 5 seconds then goes out

Just to make sure we are talking about the same light, where is the security light and what does it look like?

On the 2001 lesabre it is below the coolant dial and it says security

That is the one. If it flashes for 5 seconds and goes out then the security system is not the problem. Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light so we can do some testing?

No I can go get a test light

You will need a digital volt meter as well.

I can't get the test light to work on things I know have power I must be stupid

What are you testing and how are you trying to test them?

The headlight circuit at the fuse box. The battery is underneath the backseat on this car so I attached to the place where the battery goes to fuse box. Then I try just to fender and I had to pull the headlight fuse they were so I know there's power

To check for power, you have to connect the gater clip of the test light to a ground, then use the tip of the test light to check for power.

On the relearn when should the security stay illuminated for 10 mind on the 2nd cycke. Last night it did before the battery gave up
What do we test first

The security light should start flashing as soon as you let go of the key from the start position, then flash for 10 minutes. Then you have to turn the switch off with in 5 seconds of the light going out, and with in 5 seconds go back to the start position for just a split second, then back to run for another 10 minutes. You have to do this three times for a total of 30 minutes. After the third time, turn the switch back to off for 5 seconds then see if the engine will start. If you mess up on any of the steps, YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER FROM THE BEGINING

That's not the issue the light has never flashed more than 5 seconds I just tried the relearn again. It's something else. Pcm ignition I don't know which one. After a year sitting I don't know what is most likely faulty. It really doesn't make sense