Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

My father-in-law bought a 1999 Buick LeSabre about a year…

Customer Question
My father-in-law bought a 1999...
My father-in-law bought a 1999 Buick LeSabre about a year ago, other than the horns not working he has never had any problems with it. The horn Panda the steering wheel has been replaced before and it doesn't feel like it has any of the contacts inside of it so I was just going to run wires straight from horns to a push button and mounted to the dash for him. When I remove the driver side kick panel a close pin was dangling below the steering column holding two wires together. I tossed the clothes pin wire two wires together didn't think twice about it and after I got the horns wired in the car wouldn't start. I dug around online and found that somebody had used it to clamp the resistor from the key to bypass the Vats LOL. I called the dealership and got the ohm resistance per this VIN number and just looped. in resistors at 520 ohmes. Still can't no crank no startūüė§
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Buick
12/13/2017
Buick Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

what the ohms value of the chip on your key?

There was no chip in the key it was clamped in the clothes pin above the kick panel. Which got lost. I didn't realize that until I had already went and bought a new key with a chip in it and was just going to do the 30-minute relearning process.
523

have you tried the relearn?

and no go?

you need to splice those 2 wires back together and take your new key to the dealer to have it programmed.

or you can call a locksmith

Well I'm sure they bypassed the lock cylinder because that Lil white wires broke up in there like I've had to do on both of my Buicks and he doesn't have the money to do all that crap. I just wanted to know how to relearn it with the resistors looped in there bypassing the ignition switch
55357;�
Buick Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic

sorry for the delay........
Just because you got the Resistor Value for the V.I.N. does NOT mean that is is correct, as many times Customers or Dealers muck up the system by changing the VATS Module, Ignition Key, wiring, etc.
Click Attachment Below
Be sure you have the "correct" Value
Vehicle should Start & Run once you have wired across the 2 THIN WHITE wires with the "correct Value Resistor

let me know if you need further

Thank you, ***** ***** currently key number 12 comma with the value of 6040 ohms.
Just three more to go I'm starting to sweat it LOL

IF Resistor Value search does not help:
Be sure Battery is "fully charged"
Disconnect Battery & "briefly" touch the Positive + & Negative - Cables together
Be sure all Connections are clean & tight.
Check Voltage + on the PURPLE wire at the Starter Solenoid with Key held i "crank" position
IF there is Voltage +, then you have an issue with Battery Cable, Solenoid or Starter
IF there is NO Voltage +, could be Theft Module, PN Switch or Relay
Click Attachment Below

so why would you close the question
My answer was correct & to the point........

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Buick Mechanic