Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Power steering leaking (actually, spewing everwhere) just…

Customer Question
Power steering leaking (actually...

Power steering leaking (actually, spewing everwhere) just below power steering fluid tank. Power steering pump is making clacking sound. I love the car and it is in very good condition in every other way. It has 130,000 miles on it but no other squeaks or noises. I love it, but am wondering if it is worth repairing because I need to sell it, don't need an extra car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?

I cannot see source of leak; it would spray fluid in my face if I got that close. Seems likely to be joint between hose and fluid tank. Reservoir was empty, so I filled it but turned car off when it started spraying out. It has been sitting for a few months.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2002 Century Limited. Great sound system, leather/loaded. Only scratches are on the hubcaps.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, my mechanic days are over, don't even have tools anymore. I haven't tried anything, wondering if it is worth it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Looking for price for new pump/repair of leak, to calculate economics of going to the trouble.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Buick
12/5/2017
Buick Mechanic: Gary, Buick Technician replied 8 months ago
Gary
Gary, Buick Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

the odds are the pump or the pressure line to the pump is leaking

i would change the pump assembly first as that should fix this issue

if it still does this then the pressure like to the pump is the issue

but i think a new pump will fix this issue

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer