Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Gas cap light comes on, i reset it, but the service engine…

Customer Question
Gas cap light comes...

Gas cap light comes on , i reset it, but the service engine soon never goes out

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the gas cap for cracks? Have you checked the fuse?

I havected the battery for awhile, that that hasn't helped

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2005 la sabre i haver a brand new cap on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New cap, , disconnecting the batter\y , which should reset everything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do it myself, have have worked on them for over 40 years, all different makes and models, plus alot of european vehicles

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Buick
12/2/2017
Buick Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Tech replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Tech

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Post the codes here and I will let you know what to do next...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert