Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2002 buick century with that error message. Do you…

Customer Question
I have 2002 buick...

I have 2002 buick century with that error message. Do you have advice specific to that model?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

Low mileage, low 50,000's. I do not have a scan tool. I do not have a code reader, but my local mechanic read that code (P0446) for me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it. I will take a look at the vent valve. Is it in the same location on my car?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. I'll take a look, then come back online. Maybe tomorrow.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Buick
11/29/2017
Buick Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

DO you know what your looking for when you check the vent valve?

Hello. I hope we can pick up on this today.No, I do not know where the evap valve is. I have looked at wires and what may be the canister, and I see no damage.
Is the $26 for the call in addition to the $22 already quoted, or instead of the $22?
Hello?
I have received an answer to the billing question.Before agreeing to a phone call and additional charges, I would like to know that you realize that I have a 2002 Buick Century. Is there anything specific about my model that you can help me with? The illustration that was online regarding this error message does not look like what is under my hood.I'm hoping very much that the problem is the evap valve, and not the part above the gas tank. What I'm hoping to get is how we can test for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/giurxs9qlq49nlh/vent.docx?dl=0

Ok here is the install and removal procedure for the vent valve, pull it and check with power and ground at each terminal that it is opening and closing all the way

I am confused. I thought the place I was supposed to be looking was at the very front of the engine compartment, near the radiator. The vent valve is inside the left inner rear fender?

yes this is the valve associated with your code, we can only do so many tests and then we will need a pretty advanced scanner, do you have access to one of these?