Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The timing chain and sprockets were removed without properly…

Customer Question
The timing chain and sprockets...
The timing chain and sprockets were removed without properly locating the timing marks and sprockets. I have since replaced the chain and sprockets to what should be proper alignment. I removed all the spark plugs to relieve pressure and make it easier to hand turn the engine. With the engine at this point and timing marks aligned and #1 cyl. at top dead center I can readily rotate the crank shaft through several revolutions and I feel no resistance such as valve interference at any time. I am familiar with the basics of timing an engine but am 78 years old and have not done much work on cars in recent years. If this engine had a distributer I would have no problem proceeding. However with the introduction of electronics and computers I have fallen completely out of the loop. Here finally is my question. Do I have to check the ignition timing to the cam and crank and if so how is this accomplished?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Buick
11/19/2017
Buick Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

As long as you have the timing chain marks line up, that is all you have to do. The cam and crank sensors will do the rest as fart as setting the timing.