Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will not crank or start. but if I leave key in run position…

Customer Question
Will not crank or...

Will not crank or start. but if I leave key in run position and apply power to the crank side of starter relay it will start and run for 3 seconds. I put a noid light on a fuel injector and that's what happens in 3 seconds, it cuts off power to injectors. this car does not have the resistor chip in the key. its using another way to secure it

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

130 k and yes up to a few days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Buick?

Park ave

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Retired mechanic of 30 years. traced crank signal al the way thru the circuit to ecm but signal does not leave ecm to starter relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Security light comes on in run position and goes out on crank, just kike it should

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Buick
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Buick Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. If the starter relay control is coming out of the ecm then the ecm is the issue.

diagram

are you there?

the pcm controls the coil side of the relay through position 86 of the relay plug

it is NOT coming out of ECU. only going in. I use my power probe on the crank side of the starter relay and it starts and runs for 3 seconds and the fuel injectors turn off

once again, the pcm controls the starter relay. so please dont tell me otherwise. thank you.

hows it going?

do you still need assistance? If not it would be nice to let me know. Thank you.

I don't need YOUR assistance. I know a lot more than you do. And smarty pants, it was not the ECU failing. it was the security system stopping the crank circuit from engaging. had new key flashed and fired rite up. So, no I don't need any more of your so called assistance. you need to learn how to treat your customers with a little respect. ...or do you not know what that is. I appreciate the wiring diag.. they helped.

smarty pants? very grown up sir.

Im sorry if you felt disrespected. But there is nothing I said to warrant that statement.

Happy thankgiving to you.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician