Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The heater in my 1997 Buick Century turns itself on

Customer Question
The heater in my...

The heater in my 1997 Buick Century turns itself on spontaneously. It did this 2 nights ago and drained the battery. The mechanic says it is probably the relays. What do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It happened once about 3 weeks ago as I was driving. The incident where it apparently ran all night is the first serious thing that has happened.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. I'm just wondering if it IS, in fact, the relays and if so, about how much should it cost to repair? Could it be something else?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Buick
If I adjust the heat level all the way down to the coldest setting on air conditioning before I turn the engine off, it seems to solve the problem, at least temporarily. But I don't want to depend on having to do that.
11/15/2017
Buick Mechanic: Tracer, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Tracer
Tracer, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, do you have the automatic climate control or manual climate control? and do you mean the blower comes on/off?