Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

I replaced the battery a year ago and now it sporadically…

I replaced the battery...

I replaced the battery a year ago and now it sporadically starts. Could it be the starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

I believe it is a series of clicks. My daughter in law drives the vehicle so not too sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2004 rendezvous. I haven't seen many starter issues posted. And it is strange cuz sometimes it starts like nothing and other times nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rendezvous yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took to a mechanic and he said it was the battery. When somebody else checked it the car started with no problem and said what he could hear was the brushes and it turned out the car has very little oil. Filled it and now turns over at random.

11/15/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

This is either going to be the starter with a dead spot in it or faulty ignition switch. You or a shop needs to check the purple wire at the starter solenoid when it wont turn over with a voltmeter. If 12v is present, replace the starter. If not, replace ignition switch

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
I have no more questions but don't see the option to rate.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager