Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

While replacing all new headlights bulbs...one broke and

hi...while replacing all new headlights...
hi...while replacing all new headlights bulbs...one broke and some how I shorted one out....it works but its not bright or full power....replaced plug checked wiring....one side works great ...the other dim....
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: all new bulbs....fuse would take out all the the lights..!!!!..one works great...the other dim..????
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2004 buick century...my moms car..need asap....took it to pep boys...they played around with it for about 45 min...switched wires ..ng...we have to trace it...that's going to cost....not rich....please help.....
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just bought a new plug....since the lights work...great on one side and low power on the other side....so I don't think its a fuse...a short...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/15/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok do you have a multimeter for testing?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Any chance....you may know where I can find the ground wire...????!?

for?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Most likely ground shorted out..!!!!

ok there is a ton of ground wires which component do you need a location for

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Right head lite lamp....

below dash left side of steering column

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks...will try that tomorrow.....dark now...maybe you saved me a lot of money...not going to a shop....thank you....

sure thing! good luck tomorrow!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I still have to run a new wire..!!!!....can I make it shorter....????....you don’t know what color it is by chance...?????

its not that simple actually as the lights are controlled by the ground in that circuit, so if you ran a ground they would just stay on all the time,

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Don’t know...replacing Hd bulb with brighter one...broke....and shorted out...or grounded out.....

are you getting power at the connector?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
there just not at full power..!!!

more than likely your multi function switch is bad though but it will need to be traced out and checked for issues

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician