Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

96 Buick Skylark you have to hold the key on to get it to

run and acts like it's...
96 Buick Skylark you have to hold the key on to get it to run and acts like it's starving all the dash lights are on and the oil light is flickering off and on even the theft light is on but it'll start and run if you hold the ignition
10/20/2017
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. replace the starter. the solenoid coil isnt latching.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it's like it's not getting fuel or enough air all the dash lights are on everything but the check engine light and it has two codes p 1573 p1629 on a Snap-On scanner and the theft light is on constant

if you have to keep holding the key in the start position to keep it running, replace the starter, then we can deal with the other issues

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Know once you get it running it's running will you have to hold the key until it starts running if you let off of it and it acts like it's going to start it'll die so you have to hold the key and it'll start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's why maybe I thought all the dash lights being on anti-theft when letting it get enough
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It'll start and run by itself but you have to hold the key until it starts then once you let go of the key it'll run
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know why you kick me to the curb but you know I work on semis work on cars all my life I guess I need to get online and give some suggestions
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

Do you still need help?

It sounds like you may have a faulty ignition switch or a wiring issue/low voltage problem on the starting or ignition switch circuit.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could the dash cluster be causing the problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I look at the start solenoid wire when it sends a signal wire

I do believe so.

Or you could have low system or circuit voltage affecting both the cluster and ignition causing this condition.

YES, check the power supply in and out of the ignition switch

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great night!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You probably couldn't see when I talk to the last person to codes that I give him right
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay get with me tomorrow I'm going to bed

YES, I can see the conversation

Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Phone call session started

I will call you tomorrow.

Have a good night

Good morning Tom,

What time would you be available to speak on the phone today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now's a good time

.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic