Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

2005 Buick rendezvous Instrument cluster "analog" guages all…

2005 Buick rendezvous Instrument cluster...
2005 Buick rendezvous Instrument cluster "analog" guages all reading zero. odometer says ERROR and no gear indication. Tested all with sweep and all swept full range. Heads up display working, digital compass working, but mileage/fuel remaining/ etc. not reading. Mechanic worked six days trying to trouble shoot and could not diagnose problem.
10/19/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, it sounds like a malfunction with the instrument cluster itself. there are a lot of known issues with the cluster. Similar to this one technical service bulletin im attaching which is similar to your concern.

Just drove home from mechanic. Speedometer moves but registers indirect speed. No movement in other needles. odometer shows on start, but replaced with ERROR. Also, odometer reading not collecting mileage. No noise from cluster as indicated in bulletin. Again, sweep tester put to cluster and all guages read and swept. Not cluster itself, but communication, but mechanic could not find where it was losing signal
Incorrect* speed

No codes in the cluster or the PCM?

It passes a network test?

Ok its saying its a communication fault, which could be still internal to the cluster itself or a problem with the network communication between the cluster and other modules that share its datastream. It looks like its something he doesnt want to get involved with when they refer it to go to the dealer and trace the circuit. Do you have a voltmeter and scan tool to test the network and circuit?

I have a meter, but not a scan tool

Ok to start you will need to remove the dash covers to get access to the instrument cluster and its electrical connectors and perform a wiggle test on the connectors and see if the error message goes away. If it is an issue with the network a connector or possible connection on the instrument cluster board would be the first place to check.

Mechanic did all that. He had the whole cluster removed, disconnected, reconnected, checked all fuses, and metered entire circuit

Did he give the actual code number that went along with the class 2 circuit fault?

There are a few different diagnostic routes to go depending on the U code you may have stored to trip this type of network fault. Since there are multiple modules, The code flags which modules are loosing the information and where to check. SInce the speedometer is working, the pcm should be getting a vehicle speed signal but the cluster isnt getting it correctly.

DTC U1000

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
Modules connected to the class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. When a module receives a message for a critical operating parameter, the module records the identification number of the module which sent the message for state of health (SOH) monitoring. A critical operating parameter is one which, when not received, requires that the module use a default value for that parameter. When a module does not associate an identification number with at least one critical parameter within about 5 seconds of beginning serial data communication, DTC U1000 or U1255 is set. If more than one critical parameter does not have an identification number association, the DTC will only be reported once.

DTC DESCRIPTORS
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:

• DTC U1000 Class 2 Data Link Malfunction
  • DTC U1255 Lost Communications

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• Voltage supplied to the module is in the normal operating voltage range of 9-16 volts .
  • Diagnostic trouble codes U1300, U1301, and U1305 do not have a current status.
  • The module operation or the vehicle power mode requires serial data communication to occur.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
At least one critical operating parameter has not been associated with an identification number within about 5 seconds after beginning serial data communication.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
The module uses a default value for the missing parameter.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC

• A current DTC U1000 will clear when all critical operating parameters for the module have been associated with an identification number, or at the end of the current ignition cycle.
  • A history DTC U1000 will clear after 50 ignition switch ON/OFF cycles with no repeat of the failure.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
When a malfunction, such as an open fuse to a module occurs while modules are communicating, a Lost Communication DTC for a specific module is set as a current DTC. When the modules stop communicating, the current Lost Communication DTC is cleared, but the history DTC remains. When the modules begin to communicate again, the module with the open fuse will not be learned by the other modules, so DTC U1000 is set current by the other modules. If the malfunction occurs when the modules are not communicating, only DTC U1000 or U1255 is set.

TEST DESCRIPTION

Steps 1-12

Steps 13-15

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. A Lost Communication with XXX DTC with a history status may indicate the cause of U1000.
  2. The module that is not communicating is the likely cause of U1000 or U1255 being set. Refer to Control Module References for the modules populated on the vehicle.
  1. The module which was not communicating may have set Lost Communication with XXX DTCs for those modules that it was monitoring.
  2. The module which was not communicating may have set Lost Communication with XXX DTCs for those modules that it was monitoring.
  3. The module that was not communicating may have set Lost Communication with XXX DTCs for those modules that the module was monitoring.
  1. The modules that communicate indicate the module that cannot communicate. You must clear the DTC from the modules in order to avoid future misdiagnosis.
  1. If all modules are communicating, the module that set U1000 may have done so due to some other condition.
  2. The module that set U1000 is the likely cause of the malfunction.

The information above is an example of some of the testing depending on the fault.

that's great info... thank you. I'll check with him on specific code(s).. I don't like going to dealer unless absolutely necessary, and then ONLY if I KNOW what's wrong. I don't want to take it in there and have them tell me the ECM or BCM needs to be replaced (or even the cluster), only to have it not work and having it end up being a worn wire or harness that can be spliced or piggybacked. While I am female, I'm not stupid, and I've taken it to mechanics in the past knowing EXACTLY what was wrong only to be told it's a much more expensive repair than necessary. (In fact, I've had a mechanic tell me my ECM was "going" bad when it was actually my coil pack on 1... which I ended up replacing the set, myself). I know not all mechanics are shady, but I'm currently about to go pull a sub frame rear bushing, retainer, and bolt from a U-Pull because Buick no longer makes said bushing and wants to charge $221 for one of the remaining two in the whole country (one on Maryland and the other in North Carolina, and that's just the bushing! The transmission shop didn't reinstall it after repair).

Very cool! Yes it originally sounded like the tsb type of issue since there are lots of issues with the cluster. As long as wiggling the connector on the cluster doesnt change anything then a resistance test of the CAN network circuit needs to be tested along with the grounds for the cluster depending on what U code or other B type Body code may be stored. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a postiive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you. Let me know how you make out please. Thank you for the bonus!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician