Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Security light came on. It's solid. 2000 Buick Lesabre

Customer Question
Security light came on ...

Security light came on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

It's solid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2000 Buick Lesabre Custom

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?

The only thing I've done to it is change the alternator and the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's been sitting for awhile.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Buick
10/16/2017
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 9 months ago
Pete, Buick Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Try this security relearn below as this should relearn the theft system to allow starting.Usually the theft learn will be lost when the battery is disconnected and reconnected or if it has sat awhile so this should work.If it does not then you need to have the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool to locate and repair this issue.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF, using your key.
2. Observe the security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat step 1 through step 3 two more times, for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the key information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. Start the vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete