Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Engine will not start? or it wont turn manually. I have a…

Customer Question
Engine will not start...

Engine will not start? or it wont turn manually. I have a 2013 buick lacrosse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery is new & no I have not cleaned the terminals but they do not look corroded

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LaCrosse yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i will take it to the shop once i get a 2nd opinion. but at the dealership they told me indefinitely that the engine long block is not working. they manually tried to turn engine but would spin. they told me it could possibly be hydrolock within piston and bc of that a piston could be bent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. I drove the vehicle with 1 qt of oil for 3-6 miles before it shut off automatically. while driving it did not sound like the engine was being damage just a siphoning noise do to the lack of oil. once stop the DIC display Battery charging system needs to be serviced.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Buick
9/25/2017
Buick Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

The engine could easily get damaged with only 1 quart of oil in it. Especially if driven a few miles. I doubt hydrolocked. More likely in my opinion heat from lack of oil caused something to seize in the engine. Such as a piston or camshaft. The real test is to put a socket wrench on the crank shaft and see if the engine can turn by hand. If it can not, there is no sense in going any further. A new engine would be required.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.