Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 buick rendezvous, When the key is turned on (first

2005 buick rendezvous,...
2005 buick rendezvous, When the key is turned on (first position) the dash lights up, turn the key to start the vehicle, everything on the dash dies, no noises from engine compartment
9/25/2017
Pete, Buick Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you jiggle the key does it light back up at all or try and start at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

nope, nothing
I'm at work I will check answer when I get home, thanks

O.k.,since the steering column area has been tampered with and with what you have described here with the battery already being replaced and it starting with a jump this can indicate a fault with either the power or ground cable leading from the battery needing replaced.One may be corroded or damaged or may just be loose where they lead to from the battery needing cleaned and tightened.I would have these checked first.

If these are all o.k. then I would have the electronic ignition switch tested to see if it has failed as this can also cause this fault here needing replaced for this issue.

One of these here sounds to be the cause with what you have described and this does need to be checked into further to locate which is at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Do you mean the switch in the column or the ignition module at the coil

This would be the switch in the column.It was a very common component to fail or act up causing issues just like this here.I have had to replace several of these before on this model.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Buick Technician