Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

1991 buick lasabre...where is the fuse located for the

blower motor...
1991 buick lasabre...where is the fuse located for the blower motor
9/19/2017
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

In the fuse rack mounted behind the engine on the firewall in front of the passenger position the blower fuse is the green 30 amp in the right fuse block. That is three from the right side of the car. I will look for a diagram, some had them and some did not.

Is it stuck on high speed?

Automatic air temperature controls?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no juice to pig tail that goes to blower motor

OK, is this a manual control where you set the blower speed or automatic where you set the temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you set blower speed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
set slider to cool or colder

Then you will need to get to the blower resistor which is on top of the blower case under the fuse racks. The racks only have a couple of nuts holding them so you can pull them back enough to get to the resistor. Check the blower relay which is plugged in just below that fuse rack on the right side. It should have two pins with power when the key is on and the blower is selected on any of the lower speeds.

If the relay only has power on one pin then the 15 amp #6 fuse in the inside fuse block needs to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fan switch has lo then two more notches then high / temp is set by moving slider either to hot or cold

Blower relay is the third relay from the right under the fuses

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok let me check be right back

This is the best diagram I have of the relay location (click)

Inside fuse block (click)

They put the wrong label on the box, you want to check the #7 25 amp fuse if you only have 1 pin with 12 volts at the relay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I only have voltage on one of the pins in the pig tail going to the blower relay. do you mean the #7 slot behind
the glove box with the long fuse block? at the very bottom i see #6 15 amp & #7 20 amp & #8 10 amp ? is there another fuse box somewhere else?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hold up. i might be looking at the wrong relay. there are only 2 relays under the fuse box. #1 position and the #2 position. no third one as shown in pic???

The #7 in the instrument panel box on the driver's side. The diagram I posted above shows the location and the numbering of the fuse box.

You did check the #3 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment rack?

Double check the relay, if it is missing that would explain why you don't have power to the motor.

I blew up the diagram and it looks like the relay is the 2nd not the third - sorry

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is the second relay . I see the same purple wire that is in the pig tail that goes to the blower motor. And yes the #3 - 30 amp fuse is good. only have power to one pin in pig tail of blower motor relay. Yes the #7 25 amp fuse is good. when i jump the relay from the red wire to the purple , the fan turns on in the high mode.ac comp does not engage in the jump position ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just not getting power to relay?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bad fan switch?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
which other pin should have power?

The compressor won't engage just the blower.

The relay should provide power to the motor when pin 2 has power. That comes through the blower switch on the dash when you switch to high speed and that closes the relay. In the lower speeds the power comes through the resistor to the relay and on to the motor. To do that the mode control on the switch has to be in any position except off. Vent is where most people keep it.

Can you get to the switch connector without too much trouble? You can test at the resistor under the fuse rack if that is easier.

Get

Click here for wiring diagram

First check is brown wire, if you can turn it on and off with the mode switch (key on) then the switch is good and the resistor may not be. Check the other positions to see you are getting power to the resistor. At the relay you should have power on the orange wire in pin 2 with the mode switch in any position except off, the key on and the blower switch in the high position.

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cool , i will have to put it off til tomorrow. but i will do what you say and get back to you OK thanks

Great, I will watch for your post, let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician