Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The fuel pump relay fuse keep overheating, 124000 MI and it…

Customer Question
The fuel pump relay...

The fuel pump relay fuse keep overheating

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

124000 MI and it started today not turning over the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel pump relay is hot I take it out I put it back in and it'll start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Buick?

2011 Buick Lucerne 3.9 engine cxl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lucerne yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was told by the dealership that the pump was bad and the relay was bad so I replaced both of those yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that's just about it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Buick
9/18/2017
Buick Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

When you install a new fuse, how long till it blows?

About two three hours
Hello are you there

Do you own an ammeter to see what the amp draw is on this circuit?

No

How many times since the pump was replaced has the fuse failed?

The fuel pump is new and the fuel pump relay is new brought yesterday and it's just started today

OKay so the fuse failing is a new issue that started after installing a new pump and relay?

Your are using a 20 amp fuse, correct?

Do you have a volt meter?

I'm not sure if it's a 20 amp I brought it at the dealership so I assume it is. No I don't have any of those tools to test it

I am kind of backed into a corner here. You want an answer and you want an accurate one being you are paying for it. However you do nothave the tools we need to diagnose this. Knowing that, are you understanding I can not be as accurate as I would like since I pretty much just going to have to guess.

The fuse failing is a new issue that started after installing a new pump and relay?

The relay is burning up
What will cause the fuel pump relay to get hot and burn up

A relay is always going to get hot. There are an electromagnet. When in use they make heat often to hot to touch. Causes for a relay to fail are the load is to high like the wrong pump, damaged wiring, poor power or ground supply to the relay which makes the relay work harder to stay locked in on the switch side.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

how do you prevent that from happening. What needs to be done

We would need to do some testing to see which possible cause is to blame. The steps taken so far are just guessing at what needs to be done and guessing costs you money. Diagnosing if done DIY or with help is pretty much free and in the end you know what is wrong and what to do.