Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 1992 Buick Park Ave. Under normal city driving

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Buick Park Ave. Under normal city driving conditions it works just fine. When driving long distances with a sustained speed of 70 MPH or so, after some time my car RPMs go into the 30s without me pressing on the accelerator. Also, once I do press on the accelerator, I can have it all the way down to the floor and nothing will happen. My car will not pick up speed or anything. It feels as though something gets disconnected. After I let my car sit for about 30 mins to an hour, everything goes back to normal and I am able to have power again to my accelerator pedal. What could be going on? Is something overheating or going out?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I have not checked for a leak in the cooling system but my car is completely full on coolant. Someone a couple days ago said that it could be time for my car to get a complete flush of all systems. Does this make sense to you at all?
JA: What is the model of your '92 Buick?
Customer: Park Ave
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: For this particular problem I have not nothing. Since I have purchased the vehicle here is what I have done to it:
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New batteries, new spark plugs, new spark plug cables, new neutral safety switch, new starter, new air filter, new valve that controls air flow of something I forget what its called. New ignition switch with keys, new brake pads on front, new rotters, new brake cyclinder with pump under the hood that's a lot of what I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

To clarify, when the problem first occurs and the RPMs go into the 30s (I assume you mean 3000 rpm) does it feel like the engine downshifts or like the engine starts working harder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine downshift... It is not working harder at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the $26 extra on top of the $31?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nvm... I read where it said its can extra amount on top of what I have already paid. We can just continue talking on here
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, forgot to warn you about the phone call pop-up thing. That's not me. It's automated.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the overdrive is kicking off or something.

First, have you checked the fluid level on the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are some of these causes of my problem? An overheating engine is a common sign that your car is low in coolant. ... A blockage in the cooling system, loss of coolant or failing electrical cooling fans can cause overheating
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the red transmission fluid level is full... Then again I checked it after it was running. Not while cold
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Overheating can cause the vehicle to enter reduced power mode to save he engine from damage, but you will normally see an indicator light on the dash if it is overheating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At this point anything on my dash I ignore, only because the only thing on is the low coolant light and I know for a fact that I put coolant in it. I even checked it yesterday.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Do you have the check engine light or service engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I do not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just checked my transmission fluid. It is a little overfilled, but there is fluid in there.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Overfilled should be ok unless it's 2 or three pints over.

Does it seem like you have good airflow through the transmission cooler/radiator?

Does the transmission fluid smell burnt or look dark brown?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like something inside the transmission is slipping and allowing the transmission to not fully engage overdrive or the TCC lockup solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not know if I do have good airflow through the transmission cooler/radiator or how to check for that. I will smell the transmission fluid.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

The radiator can't have a bunch of bugs and dirt packed into it. You would probably notice the engine running hotter than normal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ohhhh....I'm going to def have to look at my radiator
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm looking at a sheet of paper that I got last year from Firestone Complete Auto Care where they listed the recommended services that my car needed..... Brake fluid exchange, Fuel system cleaning and Coolant system service with extended life
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

This sounds more like a transmission issue. Those services are more of preventive measures than repairs.

Expert:  Jared D replied 30 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 17 days ago.

Let me know if you need additional info.

* Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.