Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2012 Buick Lacrosse with AWD. I was driving the car around

Customer Question

Hi there. 2012 Buick Lacrosse with AWD. I was driving the car around 30mph when I heard what sounded like something mechanical break or snap? I thought I rolled over something, looked back, saw nothing, continued on. At a red light, stepped on the brake, found the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, and the car took a REALLY long time to stop (if there was traffic in front of me, I would have crashed). Limped home going no more than 20mph, pedal continued to be needed to push to the floor, and took an extremely long time to brake. Parking brake engaged like normal. No noises after mechanical snap. No fluid leakage (brake fluid is where its supposed to be) Any insight as to what it could be?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Brake fluid is normal. Not sure when it was changed. Level is normal.
JA: Are you fixing your LaCrosse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havent tried anything yet. Depending what it was, I would determine who and how to fix it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just thanks for taking the time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. if you do not see anything leaking under the car, get a light and look at the inside of each tire and make sure you don't see anything splashed on the inside of the tires. if you don't notice anything there then the master cylinder went bad on you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I suspected the master cylinder, but I couldnt figure out why I would have heard a mechanical loud bang? When they have gone bad on a car before, its just been due to leakage. If I see fluid, it would be a leak in one of the lines?

if you see fluid it would be a line or hose to the caliper

its not normal to hear a bang when a master cylinder goes bad I agree. Im going to check any related bulletins, please standby

Does the pedal raise back up after it goes to the floor?

are you there?